Esteemed Contributor

Re: Man with a gun roaming the aisles of a local grocery store

I believe open carry laws pertain to handguns ONLY.

However, I may be wrong as that may vary from state to state.

The store manager was right to call police for someone in the store with a shotgun. The fact the police ended up shooting him further suggests this wasn't a simple case of 'open carry'.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if he was on a 'suicide by cop' mission.

Valued Contributor

He DID have a shotgun. I went back to see the video. I read the police told him to drop the weapon, and he did not comply.  Gee, never thought I would be afraid to go to the grocery store.

Respected Contributor

I hate that now I look at almost every public place as a possible place to get shot or stabbed. 

Valued Contributor

I carry a firearm at all times, either concealed or open carry, depending upon where I am or what I am wearing. I am very well trained. I can guarantee my daughter and I would be your best friend if some idiot decides to open fire. Remember, criminals do not obey the law, nor do they necessarily open carry. Someone intent on doing something evil will find a way and a weapon. A gun free zone is a marketplace for those who want to commit a mass murder. Some towns in the state I live in require citizens to possess firearms, unless there is a legal reason for why they cannot. In those towns, crimes rates are very, very low. Our local sheriff encourages conceal or open carry. Where I live you do not need a permit to open carry, only to conceal carry.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo I am surprised that you feel safe knowing everyone including mentally ill or evil people will be out with their weapon at all times.There could be a shootout in isle seven because you accidentally bumped into a person with a bad attitude.I have seen news stories about fistfights in stores over trivial encounters and can only imagine what could have happened if those people had weapons.