Honored Contributor

Re: Man Who Walks 21 Miles a Day to Work

On 2/8/2015 Ms X said:
On 2/8/2015 terrier3 said:
On 2/8/2015 annabella said:

Since we do not know what kind of education he has or smarts for financial matters... Nothing I read said anything except that he worked a job and walked to work.

It is hard to say how he will do. He may be very fugal and smart and hold on to everything so he can retire... invest and live carefully so it lasts him.

I'm sorry, but NO ONE who has worked at a job for many years, who is a model employee and who the boss holds up as an example to everyone else - should be making $10.50 an hour.

Who can live on that?????

Each job has a particular salary scale within which the business can continue to EXIST. Companies can't increase pay without limits just because a good employee stays in a lower-level job. They will go out of business. The answer is more good jobs so that people can move up the ranks.

In recent decades. these jobs have been going overseas and cheap foreign labor by the millions has flooded the domestic labor market. I saw an article in Computerworld just last week about tech companies that are using these outsourcing companies to bring in foreign workers to replace American IT professionals. They are training their replacements and then being let go. THIS is the source of the income gap, not the fact the minimum wage isn't higher. If the labor market wasn't being manipulated through the floods of cheap foreign labor, workers would be more valued and would earn more. There would be better, higher paying jobs rather than just so many low-paying jobs. That is the only way to improve the lot of American workers.

Corporations have profits higher than at any time in the history of America.

I bet the managers have better raises.

Respected Contributor

On 2/8/2015 Ms X said:

Since we do not know what kind of education he has or smarts for financial matters... Nothing I read said anything except that he worked a job and walked to work.

It is hard to say how he will do. He may be very fugal and smart and hold on to everything so he can retire... invest and live carefully so it lasts him.

I'm sorry, but NO ONE who has worked at a job for many years, who is a model employee and who the boss holds up as an example to everyone else - should be making $10.50 an hour.

Each job has a particular salary scale within which the business can continue to EXIST. Companies can't increase pay without limits just because a good employee stays in a lower-level job. They will go out of business. The answer is more good jobs so that people can move up the ranks.

In recent decades. these jobs have been going overseas and cheap foreign labor by the millions has flooded the domestic labor market. I saw an article in Computerworld just last week about tech companies that are using these outsourcing companies to bring in foreign workers to replace American IT professionals. They are training their replacements and then being let go. THIS is the source of the income gap, not the fact the minimum wage isn't higher. If the labor market wasn't being manipulated through the floods of cheap foreign labor, workers would be more valued and would earn more. There would be better, higher paying jobs rather than just so many low-paying jobs. That is the only way to improve the lot of American workers.

Corporations have profits higher than at any time in the history of America.

I bet the managers have better raises.

Most people don't work for large corporations, terrier. And you are absolutely right about management feathering their own nests while giving the workers as little as possible. Please re-read my post about the flooding of our labor market with cheap foreign labor and these trade agreements that send jobs overseas. THIS IS WHY THEY CAN TREAT THE WORKERS SO BADLY.

Super Contributor

Many people do! Many people can not even find a job. Perhaps you have never been in the pool struggling class of workers who are just thankful for a job. Many people make less than $10.50 an hour. You my dear are out of touch with reality.
Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2015 annabella said:Many people do! Many people can not even find a job. Perhaps you have never been in the pool struggling class of workers who are just thankful for a job. Many people make less than $10.50 an hour.

Just because many people struggle, while corporations make record profits, doesn't make it right.

Respected Contributor

On 2/8/2015 annabella said:Many people do! Many people can not even find a job. Perhaps you have never been in the pool struggling class of workers who are just thankful for a job. Many people make less than $10.50 an hour.

Just because many people struggle, while corporations make record profits, doesn't make it right.

Until our labor market is no longer manipulated through the flooding of it with cheap foreign labor and the outsourcing of jobs, workers will not see better wages and treatment. There are many ways this situation can be improved, but the business lobby is powerful and has plenty of $$$ to throw around.

Honored Contributor

Seems like a kind and gentle man who was content with what he had. I hope the $300,000 that was raised for him doesn't change him in a negative way.

Esteemed Contributor

America used to reward people who worked hard. Not any more.

The City of Detroit has emerged from it's bankruptcy. And while the accounting and law firms made millions for their work those who worked and retired from the city were forced to take a pension cut.

So grandma who had no more than a HS diploma and worked as a custodian at the city schools or the public library all her life has retired. Only to now get a pension cut.

If you work the streets of Detroit as a police officer or firefighter until you retire, I think you should be awarded a gold watch and a $1M dollar pension.

Regular Contributor

I live in the suburbs of Detroit and while this is a feel good story I have a few problems with it.

$300,000 is in my opinion a ridiculous amount to give anyone, unless it is to save a life, ie: for a life saving surgery, transplant, etc. There are thousands of people in the Detroit area struggling just as much as this man, without a job or anyway to pay their heating bills and put food on their table.

A Ford dealership gave him a car, so he won't be needing the money to buy one, upkeep won't cost $300,000 I don't think.

I'm not a fan of these GoFundMe pages, etc-they are for the public to see and lots of people now know about this man, general area where he lives, works, etc.

The person that started this funding is a college kid and a complete stranger to this man-might be nice to give the kid a little help with his bills as well.

While I commend the man for his work ethic, thousands of people have the same dedication, and get to work anyway they can.......

Super Contributor

On 2/8/2015 pood said:

I live in the suburbs of Detroit and while this is a feel good story I have a few problems with it.

$300,000 is in my opinion a ridiculous amount to give anyone, unless it is to save a life, ie: for a life saving surgery, transplant, etc. There are thousands of people in the Detroit area struggling just as much as this man, without a job or anyway to pay their heating bills and put food on their table.

A Ford dealership gave him a car, so he won't be needing the money to buy one, upkeep won't cost $300,000 I don't think.

I'm not a fan of these GoFundMe pages, etc-they are for the public to see and lots of people now know about this man, general area where he lives, works, etc.

The person that started this funding is a college kid and a complete stranger to this man-might be nice to give the kid a little help with his bills as well.

While I commend the man for his work ethic, thousands of people have the same dedication, and get to work anyway they can.......

I agree, especially with the bolded. There are plenty of other people on Gofundme asking for help with medical costs, unexpected funeral expenses and things like that. I think if I had extra money to throw at a man who already had so much given I'd go look for someone else I'd think needed it more. There's plenty of seriously ill children needing financial help.

Contributor

He deserved it and then some.