Esteemed Contributor

Re: Man Sues Verizon Over Fraudulent Cellphone Charges

@haddon9 wrote:

Yes he should have been more diligent watching his accounts and finances but really it's Verizon who is seriously at fault.

Personally I can't stand them!  They are difficult to deal with and have the worst customer service I've ever encountered!!  You can literally be on the phone with them for hours trying to fix a problem all the while they pass you from one department to the next! It's beyond frustrating!

They are customer unfriendly and out to get every last dollar that they can...I hope his lawsuit is successful!

This has not been my experience with Verizon at all.  I think their CS is excellent.  I've been with them since I got my very first cell phone years ago, and would never think of switching.  I've never once been on the phone for hours, and I've never been transferred from one department to another.  

And because I'm a good, long-time customer, I have received many breaks on cost.  What I pay for my current plan is far less than anyone I know.

Verizon and Amazon, IMO, have the best CS.  No other company I deal with comes close.  

Obviously, we all have different experiences!  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

On ripoffreport, and other comsumer reporting (venting) websites, Verizon has hundreds and hundreds of consumer complaints regarding charging for data overages that were not real, other charges that proved out not true.

They just settled another class action lawsuit recently.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/497393-l-tan-verizon-wireless-class-act...

@gabstoomuch they have been doing this since way before they got into the cellphone business.  They did it with their landline service.  Goes back years!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Seems like a non-story.  

Something happened.  

Verizon corrected.  

He is suing.  

Why did the NY Post pick up on this particular story?

Is the client (who is an attorney, himself) connected to the paper somehow? Really surprised this made press...unless it's a slow news day or something...

--------------

"He was eventually reimbursed for the fraudulent charges. But although he has been a Verizon customer for 17 years, he said he plans on changing carriers when his contract expires.

“I am not sure if the competition provides comparable service, but to my knowledge, they don’t actively engage in defrauding their own customers,” Sidney said.

He is suing for at least $75,000 in damages on behalf of himself and others Verizon customers who may have had similar experiences.

His lawyer said many Verizon customers are likely getting caught in the alleged fraud dragnet because so many people use Autopay and don’t closely scrutinize monthly bills.

A spokesman for Verizon said he could not comment on pending litigation."

Because the NY Post likes to sensationalize stories.  It once was fairly well respected paper.  Now it's not.  Something doesn't sound right with this story. 

Yes, the NY Post is pretty much a tabloid, and has been for a long time.  Not a good source of news in any way.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

I agree that he should have been vigilant, and caught it sooner. But his main complaint is that Verizon knew it was fraud from Day 1 and shouldn't have allowed the criminal to get away with it.

@handygal2

In addition, when he didnt provide proper ID why didnt Best Buy cancel the transaction or at least notify Verizon.......  I think all 3 bear in a portion of the responsibility!   I dont know why ALL merchants dont require photo IDs for ALL transactions for verification of transactions!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My experience with Verizon was always good until it wasn't.  DH and I both purchased new phones in December when they were offering a deal that made the monthly payment to outright buy the phones less than 50% off. 

We knew it would take 4 months for the promotion to kick in and then we would be credited for the months we overpaid.  We were fine with that.  The problem was that they sent  us a receipt and entered the wrong promo so we were both being charged $5.00 per phone too much, plus the taxes.  It took numerous phone calls and being switched to several departments before it was supposedly fixed.

We finally received the credit which was correct however, they sent us an overview of next month's bill at the same time and on that bill we are again overcharged $5.00 for each phone.  I just hope when the actual bill comes out it's corrected and I don't have to go through all the calls again.   

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis

really?  and you know this how?  former employee here.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12

you make me laugh, you just make me laugh!  kiss, kiss!  see you around the block, as merle used to say.

Esteemed Contributor

NEVER use autopay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

...and people laugh at me b/c I use a Tracfone.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of autopay either.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK