Esteemed Contributor

Re: Man Sues Verizon Over Fraudulent Cellphone Charges

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I kept seeing a commercial for unlimited everything from Verizon Wireless.

Once I checked it out, I found out it was only available if you went paperless and allowed automatic payments.

I won't and don't do automatic payments, even if it means saving $ - don't want anyone dipping into the checking account but ourselves.

Thats not true, you can get unlimited.   There is an additional $5 discount for paperless and automatic payments. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

$75,000 seems excessive. 

He was reimbursed for the fraudulent charges.  What other losses did he sustain? 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Seems like a non-story.  

Something happened.  

Verizon corrected.  

He is suing.  

Why did the NY Post pick up on this particular story?

Is the client (who is an attorney, himself) connected to the paper somehow? Really surprised this made press...unless it's a slow news day or something...

--------------

"He was eventually reimbursed for the fraudulent charges. But although he has been a Verizon customer for 17 years, he said he plans on changing carriers when his contract expires.

“I am not sure if the competition provides comparable service, but to my knowledge, they don’t actively engage in defrauding their own customers,” Sidney said.

He is suing for at least $75,000 in damages on behalf of himself and others Verizon customers who may have had similar experiences.

His lawyer said many Verizon customers are likely getting caught in the alleged fraud dragnet because so many people use Autopay and don’t closely scrutinize monthly bills.

A spokesman for Verizon said he could not comment on pending litigation."

If he wins I wonder if he'll share his winnings with the other customers who is also suing on behalf of.

Respected Contributor

I have the Unlimited Plan and was not required to go paperless or do auto-pay.  If one does chose those options, there is a reduction of $10.00 per month but it is not required.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I check my accounts every single day and I think everyone should regularly check their accounts even if it's just the monthly statement,  I don't think it's fair to blame someone for money being taken out of his account.  That is theft no matter how you look at it. 

We bought phones from Best Buy and I don't remember if we had to show them our driver's licenses or not.  Seems both Best Buy and Verizon are at fault here.  

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Seems like a non-story.  

Something happened.  

Verizon corrected.  

He is suing.  

Is the client (who is an attorney, himself) connected to the paper somehow? Really surprised this made press...unless it's a slow news day or something...

--------------

"He was eventually reimbursed for the fraudulent charges. But although he has been a Verizon customer for 17 years, he said he plans on changing carriers when his contract expires.

“I am not sure if the competition provides comparable service, but to my knowledge, they don’t actively engage in defrauding their own customers,” Sidney said.

He is suing for at least $75,000 in damages on behalf of himself and others Verizon customers who may have had similar experiences.

His lawyer said many Verizon customers are likely getting caught in the alleged fraud dragnet because so many people use Autopay and don’t closely scrutinize monthly bills.

Because the NY Post likes to sensationalize stories.  It once was fairly well respected paper.  Now it's not.  Something doesn't sound right with this story. 

Trusted Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I don't understand how Verizon billed him for a transaction that didn't go through or shouldn't have gone through.  Best Buy should have asked for ID before proceeding with the transaction. 

That was my thought, exactly.   Why did he not sue Best Buy, who completed the transaction??

And I enjoy autopay on our Verizon account.   They send me a text before they charge my account so I know exactly what the amount will be.   It is the same every month, so I would notice any discrepancy before it was a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Seems like a non-story.  

Something happened.  

Verizon corrected.  

He is suing.  

--------------

Sorry, but Verizon is well known for their fradulent tactics to collect money ffrom their clients.  Years ago, before cell phone usage, they were sued and fined for phone cramming.  

Verizon is greedy.  They are well known for this.  Nothing new.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Of course, ultimately Verizon is at fault.   But who doesn't check their accounts at least monthly, if not more often?

HOWEVER ..... I'm guessing that some clerk in the Best Buy store just put it through to get the commission.   They were probably short of cash and just needed a "loan" with the phone and contract.   Just speculating here.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

On ripoffreport, and other comsumer reporting (venting) websites, Verizon has hundreds and hundreds of consumer complaints regarding charging for data overages that were not real, other charges that proved out not true.

They just settled another class action lawsuit recently.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/497393-l-tan-verizon-wireless-class-act...