Honored Contributor

Man Sues Verizon Over Fraudulent Cellphone Charges

[ Edited ]

A man says someone posing as him went into a Verizon store inside a Best Buy, and purchased a new cellphone and monthly contract. Then, when asked for identifying information, the fraudster left. Charges began to appear on complainant's bill, which was on Autopay. It took several months before he realized that money was missing from his account. (This is a good example of why l don't use Autopay for anything). He claims Verizon knew it was fraud, and did nothing.

Heres the link to a brief article:

http://nyp.st/2nMTbTX

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Man Sues Verizon Over Fraudulent Cellphone Charges

Although I understand his gripe against Verizon, he is also at fault.  Even with autopay, it is a person's responsibility to check monthly bank and credit card statements.  This shouldn't have gotten past the first month, especially if he was prudent in checking his accounts. 

Respected Contributor

Why wasn't he checking his accounts monthly, weekly, daily?  He shouldn't have gone several months without checking his accounts.  He should have caught this month one.

Honored Contributor

I agree that he should have been vigilant, and caught it sooner. But his main complaint is that Verizon knew it was fraud from Day 1 and shouldn't have allowed the criminal to get away with it.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I don't understand how Verizon billed him for a transaction that didn't go through or shouldn't have gone through.  Best Buy should have asked for ID before proceeding with the transaction. 

Esteemed Contributor

I check over my credit card bills every month.When there are charges I don't recognise I immediately call & have them removed!! There have been times when my cc company has told me to destroy the card & they've issued me a new one.They guy should have been checking his monthly statements!!

That being said Verizon admitted that they opened an account for someone who fled when asked for identification!! That sounds like a crime to me!! They continued to bill an innocent customer for someone's fraudulent charges.They even admitted to the customer that it was against their policy to report the suspected fraud!! As long as Verizon was benefiting they didn't mind looking the other way while an innocent customer got ripped off!! Guilty!!! Case closed!! I hope the guy wins his lawsuit!! The federal government needs to file charges against Verizon for facilitating a fraud.They should be fined big time!!

Honored Contributor

Yes he should have been more diligent watching his accounts and finances but really it's Verizon who is seriously at fault.

Personally I can't stand them!  They are difficult to deal with and have the worst customer service I've ever encountered!!  You can literally be on the phone with them for hours trying to fix a problem all the while they pass you from one department to the next! It's beyond frustrating!

They are customer unfriendly and out to get every last dollar that they can...I hope his lawsuit is successful!

Honored Contributor

Wonder why he's not suing both Verizon and Best Buy?  Why was the transaction even completed in BB once the "customer" fled?

Also -  keep in mind always no matter who you're dealing with -  No one cares more about your money than you do.  The charge should not have gone through ever, but repeatedly?  Consumer negligence isn't criminal, but if it were this guy is guilty of stealing from himself!  So careless.

Honored Contributor

I kept seeing a commercial for unlimited everything from Verizon Wireless.

Once I checked it out, I found out it was only available if you went paperless and allowed automatic payments.

I won't and don't do automatic payments, even if it means saving $ - don't want anyone dipping into the checking account but ourselves.

Honored Contributor

Seems like a non-story.  

Something happened.  

Verizon corrected.  

He is suing.  

Why did the NY Post pick up on this particular story?

Is the client (who is an attorney, himself) connected to the paper somehow? Really surprised this made press...unless it's a slow news day or something...

--------------

"He was eventually reimbursed for the fraudulent charges. But although he has been a Verizon customer for 17 years, he said he plans on changing carriers when his contract expires.

“I am not sure if the competition provides comparable service, but to my knowledge, they don’t actively engage in defrauding their own customers,” Sidney said.

He is suing for at least $75,000 in damages on behalf of himself and others Verizon customers who may have had similar experiences.

His lawyer said many Verizon customers are likely getting caught in the alleged fraud dragnet because so many people use Autopay and don’t closely scrutinize monthly bills.

A spokesman for Verizon said he could not comment on pending litigation."