Honored Contributor

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @Citrine1

Awhile back I posted a link to an article which interviewed an Amazon Executive who explained their pricing strategy, which I call a scheme----

Amazon lower's prices to beat a competitor on one product, and to make up the difference they raise prices on many many other products....He said Amazon's ace in the hole is consumer's just assume Amazon always has the best price, so the customer doesn't comparison shop and Amazon gets to not only beat a competitor, but gets a purchase on another item thats higher priced....(JMHO--I call it an OVERPRICED item).  While most retailers may play a pricing game on popular on-trend items, Amazon does this on thousands of items daily!!! I warned Amazon fans to make sure they comparison shop.  So thank you for sharing your experience because as the old cliche goes---The proof is in the pudding (about Amazon!)  Don't just simply target Amazon for a purchase COMPARISON SHOP with other retailers to get the best price....

I really don't think most people need to be warned. I don't know anyone who automatically assumes that Amazon has the lowest prices, and I don't know anyone who doesn't comparison shop whenever they buy from anywhere (unless they're in a hurry and/or aren't concerned about cost).

Shame on those who don't use common sense and then blame Amazon!

@NYC Susan

Sorry everyone is not savvy like you...I know a LOT of co-workers/family/friends that go right to Amazon and do NOT comparison shop at all, because they make the wrong assumption Amazon has the best price....and you know the saying you know what happens when one assumes ---thats why that saying is a cliche...And its not because price doesn't matter, it's loyalty to Amazon or they're too lazy to check other places, but with today's technology---- its so easy to do......

A co-worker just got burned on a vacuum purchase, Best Buy had a great deal on her make and model.....she overpaid on Amazon....and too much of a hassle to send it back and wait for a refund....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan

Sorry everyone is not savvy like you...I know a LOT of co-workers/family/friends that go right to Amazon and do NOT comparison shop a all, because they make the wrong assumption Amazon has the best price....and you know the saying you know what happens when one assumes ---thats why that saying is a cliche...And its not because price doesn't matter, it's loyalty to Amazon or they're too lazy to do it....and with today's technology its so easy to do......

A co-worker just got burned on a vacuum purchase, Best Buy had a great deal on her make and model.....

It has nothing to do with savvy. You know what they say about assumptions. If someone does not comparision shop it is on them and nobody else. It's not Amazon's fault. If someone chooses to be ignorant, there is nothing that anyone else can do. If a person is old enough to have a credit card and shop, then they have the personal responsibility to make their own decisions. We need to accept that TPTB are not responsible for our choices.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Everybody shops for different reasons.  If something is a buck forty-nine and always on the shelf at WalMart it's not a big deal.

People sometimes want stuff they can't afford.  If you can snag a deal great, if not boo-hoo.  It's all part of the game.

Some people don't have to worry at all about what they pay for cetain things and others do.  It's just life.  It's always been like that.

I don't know why people get in such an uproar about prices because eveyone looks at differenty and everybody has different bank accounts.  It is what it is.

I think a lot of times it's jealousy or envy, sometimes it's frustration, or whatever.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@NYC Susan

Sorry everyone is not savvy like you...I know a LOT of co-workers/family/friends that go right to Amazon and do NOT comparison shop a all, because they make the wrong assumption Amazon has the best price....and you know the saying you know what happens when one assumes ---thats why that saying is a cliche...And its not because price doesn't matter, it's loyalty to Amazon or they're too lazy to do it....and with today's technology its so easy to do......

A co-worker just got burned on a vacuum purchase, Best Buy had a great deal on her make and model.....

It has nothing to do with savvy. You know what they say about assumptions. If someone does not comparision shop it is on them and nobody else. It's not Amazon's fault. If someone chooses to be ignorant, there is nothing that anyone else can do. If a person is old enough to have a credit card and shop, then they have the personal responsibility to make their own decisions. We need to accept that TPTB are not responsible for our choices.

@reiki604

It was me that said that not NYC Susan.....

Personally I dont like to conduct business with companies that play mind games and dont have much integrity....And even admit their goal is to rule not only the regular retail world, but groceries, banking, health insurance, pharmaucueticals..(and less competition means higher prices for us all)...And your right people need to take responsibility for their own actions....you get a BIG AMEN from me, but I think some shoppers were unaware of what's going on at Amazon, too trusting they will do the right thing.....But just like folks post threads about latest scams and fraudsters in phone calls and emails, I also consider this a rip off too....paying $149 for a handbag next day its $348....!!!????!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt... I am aware that it was your response to NYC Susan and I didn't want to a repost that would go on for a page. If you consider it playing mind games being played and a lack of integerity the way Amazon runs it's business, then don't buy from Amazon. Amazon works well for many people as evidenced by their profits. Purchasing from a specific retailer is a choice and no one is forcing anyone to purchase from them. If a person is too intellectually lazy to investigate where their dollars go and the cost of an item then I repeat, It's on them not the company.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Awhile back I posted a link to an article which interviewed an Amazon Executive who explained their pricing strategy, which I call a scheme----

Amazon lower's prices to beat a competitor on one product, and to make up the difference they raise prices on many many other products....He said Amazon's ace in the hole is consumer's just assume Amazon always has the best price, so the customer doesn't comparison shop and Amazon gets to not only beat a competitor, but gets a purchase on another item thats higher priced....(JMHO--I call it an OVERPRICED item).  While most retailers may play a pricing game on popular on-trend items, Amazon does this on thousands of items daily!!! I warned Amazon fans to make sure they comparison shop.  So thank you for sharing your experience because as the old cliche goes---The proof is in the pudding (about Amazon!)  Don't just simply target Amazon for a purchase COMPARISON SHOP with other retailers to get the best price....

I really don't think most people need to be warned. I don't know anyone who automatically assumes that Amazon has the lowest prices, and I don't know anyone who doesn't comparison shop whenever they buy from anywhere (unless they're in a hurry and/or aren't concerned about cost).

Shame on those who don't use common sense and then blame Amazon!

@NYC Susan

Sorry everyone is not savvy like you...I know a LOT of co-workers/family/friends that go right to Amazon and do NOT comparison shop at all, because they make the wrong assumption Amazon has the best price....and you know the saying you know what happens when one assumes ---thats why that saying is a cliche...And its not because price doesn't matter, it's loyalty to Amazon or they're too lazy to check other places, but with today's technology---- its so easy to do......

A co-worker just got burned on a vacuum purchase, Best Buy had a great deal on her make and model.....she overpaid on Amazon....and too much of a hassle to send it back and wait for a refund....

Well, that's on them. Amazon doesn't claim to have lower prices than every other retailer.  I have no sympathy for people who choose to order blindly out of a sense of loyalty, and then complain about what they paid.  Being savvy has nothing to do with it.  Comparison shopping is common sense whether we buy from Amazon or anywhere else. 

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Well, call me stupid, but I didn't realize Amazon's prices fluctuated like that.  I just checked on the bag I bought to be sure it was the Melissa shoulder bag and the slate one is back up to $358. like the other bags.  I thought it was on sale because it wasn't a popular color or something.  I'm shocked that it's back up in price.  Wow, I guess I just got really lucky.

Different vendors sell through Amazon.  That's why you will see different prices for the same article.  Also, since the various vendors have sales and specials and clearances; the prices can fluctuate from day to day.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

I think he was referring to comparison shopping on Amazon.  Amazon does not set the prices for the 1 million companies who sell on the Amazon platform.  Yes, there are Amazon products but most things are sold by other vendors.  So, if you want Ugg boots and you want the best price; you to have search for "ugg boots women size 7" and you will definitely get hundreds selections.  If you have Prime, you sort by that and then by price to get the lowest price.  So, when you say something is "overpriced" on Amazon, that makes no sense at all some items will indeed be more than the brick&mortar price or more than on other websites but other prices....out of the hundreds.....will be less.  Some will be so much lower, that you have to be suspicious and you should avoid those.