Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,081
Registered: ‎08-25-2010

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

I saw some Frye handbags at TJ Maxx recently. I think they ran around $150.00. I passed on them because I was looking for a lighter weight bag. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,178
Registered: ‎09-02-2010

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

It’s not even Amazon who jack up the prices. It’s the seller of the product. I have had this happen before when tring to complete a dinner set. I just put it in my wish list and waited for the price to go back down, or found a different seller.
~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,973
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @Citrine1

 

Awhile back I posted a link to an article which interviewed an Amazon Executive who explained their pricing strategy, which I call a scheme----

 

Amazon lower's prices to beat a competitor on one product, and to make up the difference they raise prices on many many other products....He said Amazon's ace in the hole is consumer's just assume Amazon always has the best price, so the customer doesn't comparison shop and Amazon gets to not only beat a competitor, but gets a purchase on another item thats higher priced....(JMHO--I call it an OVERPRICED item).  While most retailers may play a pricing game on popular on-trend items, Amazon does this on thousands of items daily!!! I warned Amazon fans to make sure they comparison shop.  So thank you for sharing your experience because as the old cliche goes---The proof is in the pudding (about Amazon!)  Don't just simply target Amazon for a purchase COMPARISON SHOP with other retailers to get the best price....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,527
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

I bought something from Amazon and by the time it arrived the price had gone up.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,905
Registered: ‎06-23-2014

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

I once looked at a $20 craft item that HSN sells that had sold out. It was $458 on Amazon. I sent the seller a message thinking it must be a mistake. They took the item down for 2 days and then put it back up at, you guessed it, $458!  I fell off the chair laughing.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,102
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

Thank you for that information @Spurt.

 

 While I believe Amazon offers good prices on many products, I make sure to comparison shop before I buy because I have often found lower prices at other retailers.

Your post reinforces what I thought! 

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too


@Spurt wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @Citrine1

 

Awhile back I posted a link to an article which interviewed an Amazon Executive who explained their pricing strategy, which I call a scheme----

 

Amazon lower's prices to beat a competitor on one product, and to make up the difference they raise prices on many many other products....He said Amazon's ace in the hole is consumer's just assume Amazon always has the best price, so the customer doesn't comparison shop and Amazon gets to not only beat a competitor, but gets a purchase on another item thats higher priced....(JMHO--I call it an OVERPRICED item).  While most retailers may play a pricing game on popular on-trend items, Amazon does this on thousands of items daily!!! I warned Amazon fans to make sure they comparison shop.  So thank you for sharing your experience because as the old cliche goes---The proof is in the pudding (about Amazon!)  Don't just simply target Amazon for a purchase COMPARISON SHOP with other retailers to get the best price....


 

I really don't think most people need to be warned. I don't know anyone who automatically assumes that Amazon has the lowest prices, and I don't know anyone who doesn't comparison shop whenever they buy from anywhere (unless they're in a hurry and/or aren't concerned about cost).

 

Shame on those who don't use common sense and then blame Amazon!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 919
Registered: ‎10-12-2016

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

[ Edited ]

 


@NYC Susan wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @Citrine1

 

Awhile back I posted a link to an article which interviewed an Amazon Executive who explained their pricing strategy, which I call a scheme----

 

Amazon lower's prices to beat a competitor on one product, and to make up the difference they raise prices on many many other products....He said Amazon's ace in the hole is consumer's just assume Amazon always has the best price, so the customer doesn't comparison shop and Amazon gets to not only beat a competitor, but gets a purchase on another item thats higher priced....(JMHO--I call it an OVERPRICED item).  While most retailers may play a pricing game on popular on-trend items, Amazon does this on thousands of items daily!!! I warned Amazon fans to make sure they comparison shop.  So thank you for sharing your experience because as the old cliche goes---The proof is in the pudding (about Amazon!)  Don't just simply target Amazon for a purchase COMPARISON SHOP with other retailers to get the best price....


 

I really don't think most people need to be warned. I don't know anyone who automatically assumes that Amazon has the lowest prices, and I don't know anyone who doesn't comparison shop whenever they buy from anywhere (unless they're in a hurry and/or aren't concerned about cost).

 

Shame on those who don't use common sense and then blame Amazon!


@NYC Susan, sadly, I know quite a few Amazon Prime Members who are total devotees of the big A.  My daughter being one of them.  She thinks if Amazon sells it, it must be the best deal in town.  She has furnished her home (rented, not owned) with everything from Amazon.  She got free shipping!  Yay!  She could have bought living room furniture, bedroom furniture, baby furniture, kitchen and dining room furniture for far less at a local furniture store and had to pay a nominal fee for delivery.  Nope, Amazon has it all, with free Prime shipping and it's absolutey terrific - according to she and her husband.  And I know others who feel exactly as she does.

 

I've failed miserably as a mom!  I thought I taught her to have far more respect and value for hard earned $$$s than she now displays.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too


@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

 


@NYC Susan wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @Citrine1

 

Awhile back I posted a link to an article which interviewed an Amazon Executive who explained their pricing strategy, which I call a scheme----

 

Amazon lower's prices to beat a competitor on one product, and to make up the difference they raise prices on many many other products....He said Amazon's ace in the hole is consumer's just assume Amazon always has the best price, so the customer doesn't comparison shop and Amazon gets to not only beat a competitor, but gets a purchase on another item thats higher priced....(JMHO--I call it an OVERPRICED item).  While most retailers may play a pricing game on popular on-trend items, Amazon does this on thousands of items daily!!! I warned Amazon fans to make sure they comparison shop.  So thank you for sharing your experience because as the old cliche goes---The proof is in the pudding (about Amazon!)  Don't just simply target Amazon for a purchase COMPARISON SHOP with other retailers to get the best price....


 

I really don't think most people need to be warned. I don't know anyone who automatically assumes that Amazon has the lowest prices, and I don't know anyone who doesn't comparison shop whenever they buy from anywhere (unless they're in a hurry and/or aren't concerned about cost).

 

Shame on those who don't use common sense and then blame Amazon!


@NYC Susan, sadly, I know quite a few Amazon Prime Members who are total devotees of the big A.  My daughter being one of them.  She thinks if Amazon sells it, it must be the best deal in town.  She has furnished her home (rented, not owned) with everything from Amazon.  She got free shipping!  Yay!  She could have bought living room furniture, bedroom furniture, baby furniture, kitchen and dining room furniture for far less at a local furniture store and had to pay a nominal fee for delivery.  Nope, Amazon has it all, with free Prime shipping and it's absolutey terrific - according to she and her husband.  And I know others who feel exactly as she does.

 

I've failed miserably as a mom!  I thought I taught her to have far more respect and value for hard earned $$$s than she now displays.


 

I know there are people who just blindly buy from Amazon (or Bloomingdale's or Target or whatever company they're loyal to), but I do believe that most people realize the same items can be purchased for different prices elsewhere.  What they do about that is up to them.

 

As I said, some don't bother to comparison shop because cost doesn't matter to them or they feel the convenience is worthwhile or for whatever other reason.  But anyone who complains about not getting the best price after they neglected to do their due diligence is out of gas as far as I'm concerned.  I'm VERY loyal to Amazon - I've been buying for years and have had only very positive experiences.  But I always comparision shop.  Most of the time Amazon is a better deal, but I never assume that will be the case, and I buy from lots of other retailers too.  If your daughter is okay with what she pays, then she's okay with it.  But I was replying to a post with warnings about Amazon being underhanded and the need to comparison shop, and my contention is that it's common sense to comparison shop - whenever and wherever we make purchases.

 

You haven't failed as a Mom, as I'm sure you know!  If only our kids would listen, but of course a lot of the time they don't.  I've learned that letting my adult kids make their own decisions with minimal input from me is the best way to go.  :-)

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,994
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Man , I'm Annoyed with Myself . . .And Amazon Too

@Citrine1

 

 

Me too and at a substantially lower price not just a few dollars.  Always comparison shop against Amazon.