Honored Contributor

Man Bills Woman For Date - Your Opinion?

"A woman has shared her horror online after being mailed an invoice for her half of a dinner date after she 'ghosted' the man because she felt they weren't compatible.   

Amanda Burnett, from Indiana, shared a photo of the invoice she received from the unnamed man on Twitter and Instagram, revealing an itemized list of everything she ate and drank during the meal, and the corresponding prices.

But while the 23-year-old seemed furious about receiving the bill, social media was split over who was actually in the wrong - with some insisting that she should indeed be forced to pay for her share if she didn't feel that the relationship was worth pursuing.

Amanda from Indianapolis shared the photo of the invoice which has since been deleted, with the caption: 'A guy just mailed me a bill for our dinner a few weeks ago because I didn't text him back…I can't make this stuff up.'

The two ate at The Tap brewery where he charged her $10 for one Moscow Mule, $10 for one beer and $14.50 for an order of Smoked Hickory Barbeque Pulled Pork Tacos.

Aside from what she ate and drank at the restaurant, he also charged her on the invoice,' for a $1.99 processing fee, a seven per cent sales tax of $2.56 and $0.47 for shipping and handling. 

Besides charging her for postage he even said if the invoice is not paid he will send an agency to come collect.

Her total bill came out to $39.52 and after posting the photo, her tweet caused a ruckus on Twitter over whether or not the invoice was the right thing to do.

After being taken on a date where she was treated to a full dinner, Amanda realized afterwards that she didn't want the relationship to go any further so she decided to ghost him and stopped answering his texts. 

Once she received the invoice, her date followed up by texting her saying: 'And to avoid additional penalty or fines have the invoice paid otherwise it will be turned into a collection agency.'

She responded to his text writing simply, 'Hahahaha **** off.' 

The invoice caused an ongoing argument on social media with some people thinking the man had every right to send it after what she did and others feeling like the invoice was completely unnecessary."

*****No link due to foul language on some of the responses. Google it on Daily Mail.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Man Bills Woman For Date - Your Opinion?

Poor guy had his feelings hurt. Boo-hoo. Happens to the best of us.

He cannot legally force her to pay a penny unless they had an agreement for her to do so.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Guess there won't be a 2nd date.

Tacky!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1) lack of manners on her part. All she had to do was text and say "thank you for the dinner but I don't feel a connection. I wish you well". Takes seconds and is all a person needs to know.

2) the person who asks for the date, is the person who pays UNLESS BOTH agree to pay their own way. 

That's how it is in my world. 

Respected Contributor

I think she should never have posted this.  Her best response would have been to ignore him.

He sounds unhinged to me and I don't think publicly provoking him is a good idea at all.

Honored Contributor

MY opinion is that she doesn't owe him squat, since he asked for a (cheap) date, which she gave him.

Just because she didn't think they were compatible, doesn't mean she should reimburse him for the date, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Not sure what ghosting is but he is wrong for sending the bill and she is wrong for not telling straight up and face to face that she does not want to date anymore.  Sounds like a draw to me.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I think this would be a good reminder to ask right up front when taken on a date by someone you met online if they were paying or planning on you splitting the bill. If they said splitting the bill that would be the first clue to run don't walk to the nearest exit.

Honored Contributor

She treated him shabbily and that made him angry.  Her behavior was mean spirited and rude.  She knew very early in the date that she wasn't going to see him again.  That's the purpose of a date, it's "look see".  So, if she'd should have insisted that it would be "dutch treat",  she should have insisted on splitting the bill.  When he texted her the next day, she should have been honest and about not wanting to see him again.  Something short, sweet and kind but clear that there would not be a second date.  Obviously the man has "issues" but she antagonized and baited him.  When he sent her that "bill", she should have ignored him and blocked his number.  But she wanted wanted her FB moment.  

Frequent Contributor

Well, from his reaction,  I understand why she "ghosted" him and did not want to see him again ...