Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,656
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

[ Edited ]

The whole idea of child locks is that children in the back seat cannot open the doors or windows, so it would not make any sense to them to be able to turn it on/off from the BACK seat, that defeats it's purpose!

 

I've owned may cars in my lifetime (and worked many years at car dealerships) and the child locks have always been in the front seat driver's vicinity.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,656
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

Today's update to this tragedy is that the accused's parent spoke to a TV station saying that their son was a "good boy and couldn't possibly have done this." (Sound familiar?)

 

They claim that he was at a party and passed out. When he woke up at 2:30 AM and went to leave the party, he couldn't find his car keys, he went out to the car and the keys were in it and it was covered in blood, with a cell phone in the back.

 

Okaaaaaay........

 

If so, would you not call the police about your blood covered car, rather than go buy bleach, disinfectant, etc. to clean it up?

 

But the timeline in his 'excuse' may be his downfall with that alibi.

 

She was picked up shortly before 2AM, her body was found 65 miles SE of where she was abducted, yet he says he woke up at 2:30 AM and found his car covered in blood.

 

How could anyone drive 65 miles one way and back in a half hour? 

 

 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,254
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

@LipstickDiva - I'm only repeating what the guy from the Uber Co said on one of the morning shows. I have a brand new car and the child safety locks can only be manually locked/unlocked.

 

I can lock/unlock all doors from the driver's seat and lock windows from there as well. However, those buttons have nothing to do with the child safety locks.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,254
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

@IG - I disagree with you - all of the cars I have owned had a manual lock inside the door frame that is NOT accessible from the inside of the car. You engage/disengage it when the car door is open. All of my new cars have had this feature and the brand new one I'm driving now is the same.

 

There is no button inside the car that anyone can touch.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,241
Registered: ‎11-03-2018

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

I drove a Toyota with child locks.  They couldn't be turned on or off from the driver.  There was a latch on the back doors that activated the child locks.  Unless you knew exactly where they were and what they were for, you wouldn't know what that latch was for.

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,319
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'


@Bri369 wrote:

Maybe people need to start carrying those things you an use to break the car window if you get trapped. 


 

@Bri369 , this is one of the best suggestions, among many, I've read here on this topic and one I hope people will take actually take to heart. I've never used one of these but they look like they're very easy to use. You'd have to have it available (hope the killer didn't take your purse), but having any deterrent possible is far better than having none at all.

 

I looked them up on Amazon and they range in price from a few dollars to $19.95 and up. I have a twenty-something who doesn't use Uber or other car services but I'm sending her one anyway. Most of them have an attached tool that also slices seat belts.

 

Some of the tools are pretty small. Honestly, if I was a regular user of a car service, I think I'd slip one in my pocket every time I called for a ride. Thanks for mentioning this--great suggestion! Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,312
Registered: ‎03-21-2010

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'


@IG wrote:

Today's update to this tragedy is that the accused's parent spoke to a TV station saying that their son was a "good boy and couldn't possibly have done this." (Sound familiar?)

 

They claim that he was at a party and passed out. When he woke up at 2:30 AM and went to leave the party, he couldn't find his car keys, he went out to the car and the keys were in it and it was covered in blood, with a cell phone in the back.

 

Okaaaaaay........

 

If so, would you not call the police about your blood covered car, rather than go buy bleach, disinfectant, etc. to clean it up?

 

But the timeline in his 'excuse' may be his downfall with that alibi.

 

She was picked up shortly before 2AM, her body was found 65 miles SE of where she was abducted, yet he says he woke up at 2:30 AM and found his car covered in blood.

 

How could anyone drive 65 miles one way and back in a half hour? 

 

 


OMG...that "explanation"!  That is the weakest one I've ever heard.  But yes, all parents think their kids "had nothing to do with it" once the kid gets in to trouble.  Especially this.  Impossible to accept once it involves murder.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,241
Registered: ‎11-03-2018

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 , I think that's a great idea. 

 

 

I'm thinking about giving them a Nimb Ring.  It has a tracking device and can alert 911 if you need help.  It's silent.

 

If they're anywhere and need help - an elevator, a parking garage, inside a school building, they can get help. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,319
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'


@Bri369 wrote:

@SusieQ_2 , I think that's a great idea. 

 

 

I'm thinking about giving them a Nimb Ring.  It has a tracking device and can alert 911 if you need help.  It's silent.

 

If they're anywhere and need help - an elevator, a parking garage, inside a school building, they can get help. 


@Bri369 , I had never heard of the Nimb Ring--you made me look, and it looks really interesting! These are the kinds of things that make me so grateful for modern technology. Thanks for mentioning this...another great suggestion. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,153
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'


@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@SusieQ_2 , I think that's a great idea. 

 

 

I'm thinking about giving them a Nimb Ring.  It has a tracking device and can alert 911 if you need help.  It's silent.

 

If they're anywhere and need help - an elevator, a parking garage, inside a school building, they can get help. 


@Bri369 , I had never heard of the Nimb Ring--you made me look, and it looks really interesting! These are the kinds of things that make me so grateful for modern technology. Thanks for mentioning this...another great suggestion. 


Ditto - I never heard of it, just looked it up.  Thanks for mentioning it, @Bri369 .  Buy them now.

 

I, too am very grateful for modern technology.