Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

@Anonymous032819   Yup, this is her MO.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

To the scolds...I didn't say she was drunk out of her mind.  I said I doubted SydneyH was when SHE got an uber.

Read the post again.  Page 4.

Same thing. By saying that SydneyH wasn't drunk out of her mind when she got an Uber, you are in the same breath, implying that the murdered young lady was, and you know it.

@Anonymous032819   Yes.  There was no reason to say SydneyH wasn't drunk out of her mind.  It was an illogical assessment and obviously based on an assumption that Samantha was "drunk out of her mind" since she failed the safety checklist when using Uber.

Welcome to the boards, btw. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read this entire thread, so while there may be some over the top accusations against the girl and her friends, I haven't actually read them. If they exist that's sad, but I did read something to the effect of--to all you who think you're so perfect and would have done things differently let's hope it never happens to you...

I actually think talking about the mistakes that were made, and why they were made, is a really one of the only useful reasons for this thread. And, while no one accused the girl of being drunk out of her mind (maybe in a roundabout way, idk) even her father acknowledges she was drinking. He talks about getting into cars and not really knowing if it's an Uber and wanting to get home (sounds like he's saying don't be in so much of hurry as to be careless), and riding alone. He stresses that anyone using these car services services, man or woman, would have a better chance to stay safe by not being alone.

From the posts that I did read I thought there was a lot of good information about the safety precautions for using Uber, Lyft,etc. I don't like the idea of blaming the victim, but I do think looking at how it happened, and why it happened, can provide some excellent learning lessons that will hopefully help prevent this from happening to someone else.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@SydneyH  My guess is when you take an Uber you aren't drunk out of your mind.

Oh no Esme, I had no idea the victim was inebriated. the police have a suspect, thankfully.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

My sister did the same thing for a ride to the airport.  She didn't confirm anything.  She did stay inside her house when the uber came, but that was it.  We talked about it afterwards (before this happened on the news) and she thought she was careless.  

Honored Contributor

For those who keep mentioning sitting in the back seat, can't someone just activate the child proof locks so you cannot unlock the doors?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva - The child safety locks can only be "locked" by manually pushing the switch down which is located in the frame of the back door. If the child safety lock is in the lock position, you cannot exit the door from the back seat. Once it is unlocked, you can open the doors. The driver cannot operate the child safety lock system from the front of the car.

Uber recommends checking the position before you enter the car.

Honored Contributor

Maybe people need to start carrying those things you an use to break the car window if you get trapped. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva - The child safety locks can only be "locked" by manually pushing the switch down which is located in the frame of the back door. If the child safety lock is in the lock position, you cannot exit the door from the back seat. Once it is unlocked, you can open the doors. The driver cannot operate the child safety lock system from the front of the car.

@riley1, I don't believe that is true for all vehicles.  In some new vehicles, I believe it can be activated by the driver.

And in any event, it certainly would be possible for someone to activate those locks, take on a passenger and once inside, he/she cannot open the door.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

In my vehicles, you can lock both the windows and/or the doors from the drivers side door panel.  That would include the passenger seat also.  An amber light shows when the safety locks are activated.