Honored Contributor

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

In today's news update, the coroner reported that she died as the result of a "sharp object".

Nothing was said about her BAC or possible sexual assault.

So sad and such a tragedy

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I was thinking about her family sitting shiva so near Passover, so I googled.

There are some very touching discussions about the comfort of the Holiday in relation to the grief of those who have experienced recent loss.

If you are touched by grief, I hope you will find consolation in what I’m finding there.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Who said Samantha was drunk?  Just because she was leaving a bar does not mean she was so intoxicated that she couldn't figure out that this was not Uber.

If she called Uber, then why are her friends being bashed for letting her get a responsible ride, drunk or not.

Sounds as though some think a young woman out with friends shouldn't have a drink and that her friends should have all made sure that this was truly Uber.

Who is to say the friends were all more sober and therefore more responsible for what happened?

This lovely young woman made a fatal mistake.  Nobody is to blame except for the man who murdered her.

Nobody.

THANK YOU @Cakers3 . A friend of mine knows and grieves with this family, and I grieve with them too. I have not read ANY REPORT yet that refers to her personal condition when she was kidnapped, and I think ANY REFERENCES to speculation about her add to the horror of her loss.

Those of us who have or had children who made less than perfect choices when they were younger and emerged as temperate, contributing adults should a prayer for hr and her family, and conclude it with my often thought “There but for the Grace of God.......”

@violann  I am so sorry to read about your friend grieving with this family.

All the finger-pointing at Samantha-FTLOG-why the silence about this awful person who beat her from head to toe?

It doesn't matter how much she drank, and again, no proof she was so intoxicated she couldn't manage figuring out that was not her Uber ride.  She managed to call Uber, didn't she?

It's the old blame the victim; I thought we have moved beyond that.  

I cannot imagine her fear and that the last "thing" she saw in life was his face.

Sending prayers to all who loved her.  Their grief and sorrow will live on much longer than this story will in the news.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

I'm still confused about this, every time I've taken an Uber, the driver not only confirms I'm the right passenger but I get a text confirming the vehicle.

@SydneyH  My guess is when you take an Uber you aren't drunk out of your mind.

We have no way of knowing for a 100% absolute fact that she was "drunk out of her mind".

Have they realeased her B.A.L.? (Blood Alcohol Level)

Of course, we don't know if she was drunk but it's not leap to think that she'd been in a bar so she'd been drinking and it was 2am.     

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

Her mother attended his bail hearing in court on Sunday and she told the judge exactly what you said.

That she was horrified that his face was the last thing she saw and how terrified she must have been during the attack.

It was so sad.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

I cannot read the details about this young woman's death.  It is just gut wrenching to hear she was trapped and...

I pray for her family and friends.  Such an awful tragedy. 

I'm also thanking God for protecting me during my youth when I made many unwise choices that could have ended up like THIS. 

My guardian angels were working overtime, I'm sure.  I wish they had protected this lovely young woman.

Life can be so sad and puzzling.  All I can do is pray.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s too bad Uber’s name is getting dragged down with this.

I don't think "Uber's name is getting dragged down with this", even Law Enforcement has acknowledged that she did not follow the safeguards that Uber has in place, to be sure it's your Uber ride, before getting in the car.

An unfortunate mistake on her part, that cost her her life.

If you watch the video of her getting into the car, there were a lot of people outside the bar, all of whom said they also 'thought' it was her Uber ride.

@KingstonsMom, it is in a lot of media/news outlets. When I first heard about this, the news made it seem as if she got into an Uber and the driver killed her.  It wasn't until further in the story that they said she got into the wrong vehicle, not an Uber car.

In discussions with people many of them have said "is this the girl taking Uber that got killed?"  

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe this has been posted, but I did see something on TV about a new campaign to helped protect riders....Called What's My Name?

The idea being, I suppose, is you ask BEFORE you get in to affirm the driver knows who you are and where you are going.

Seems a simple thing.  My sis and I took an Uber in NJ to the airport, and honestly, I think we got in before confirming anything.

It happens.  Maybe, if this campaign takes off, it will help.

Again, just tragic and sick.

Honored Contributor

Wow.  All of these perfect people posting on the QBB.  I don't feel worthy to post with some of you.

Forget the mistakes your children may have made. Think back to the mistakes you yourself made as a teenager, young adult or even recently.  We have all done things that we look back on now and realize were pretty stupid.  Just be lucky they weren't fatal mistakes and we were able to learn from them.

I had no dealings at all with Uber until 2 years ago in NYC.  I live in a smaller town and it's just not a way of life for us here.  I can tell you that both my sister and I got into the Ubers and never verified anything outside of the color and make of the vehicle.  We didn't check the license plate, we didn't confirm who the driver was there to pick up, we didn't look him in the face to make sure the photo matched.  We were naive to all of that and now we certainly know better.

All of you pointing fingers as what she should have done, how this could have been avoided, how awful her friends are and accusing her of being drunk should be ashamed of yourselves.  Pray to God a tragedy doesn't strike you or a family member but God forbid it does, I hope people are more understanding and less judging.  SMH    

Honored Contributor

This is so tragic.  What a beautiful young woman with what looked to be a promising future ahead of her.  I would be afraid for any child I had away at college after this.  I guess the best thing we can probably tell our daughters is always be in "two's" and don't go anywhere alone at night.  Sad to have to live that way but I fear that is what it is coming to.  This girl was an innocent victim.  Kids this age don't always think ahead like we do.  They think they will live forever.  I can remember not being careful enough many times.  I pray for her family.  I can't even imagine.  DH has a friend whose  grandson (18 yrs. old) was shot in the chest and killed a couple of days ago. We are waiting to hear about the funeral arangements as I speak.   So sad...all of this.