Honored Contributor

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Cakers3 

I wonder if this girl had experience with Uber, there are safety checks one can employ when getting into a car you think is Uber, you are given the make, model, color and plate number of the pick up vehicle, also you need to ask the driver who are you here to pick up.

It is horrible what happened to this young girl, and unfortuante that life is not as easy as it once was

@Cakers3 wrote:

Who said Samantha was drunk?  Just because she was leaving a bar does not mean she was so intoxicated that she couldn't figure out that this was not Uber.

If she called Uber, then why are her friends being bashed for letting her get a responsible ride, drunk or not.

Sounds as though some think a young woman out with friends shouldn't have a drink and that her friends should have all made sure that this was truly Uber.

Who is to say the friends were all more sober and therefore more responsible for what happened?

This lovely young woman made a fatal mistake.  Nobody is to blame except for the man who murdered her.

Nobody.

@I am still oxox   I wondered that too; I have no experience with Uber myself but glad to see your info about safety checks.

Sometimes people just don't think or pay attention. 

Even with safety precautions, there are still incidences regarding sexual assault by drivers of these companies.  Accidents, sometimes fatal, caused by reckless drivers.

No matter, though.  What a sad tragedy.Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

This is such a heartbreaking case, people are just evil. So sad for this young lady and her family.

Super Contributor

I felt so bad for her and her family.  My husband and I just moved down here outside of Charleston and when I read the Philadelphia news I was so stunned.  My heart and prayers for the family at this time.  I know bad stuff happens everywhere but she should have not been alone that time of night.  I feel so bad for her daddy---he is trying so hard to keep himself together but it will take time.  I wish I could help him.  My husband lost his daughter when she was 10 yrs. old and it took a good 10 years to get through his loss.  God bless this girl's family from my heart.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope people reading about this horrible tragedy learn from it.  If one has to call for Uber or Lyft for a ride home in the wee hours of the morning, or at any time, it is imperative to make sure who is behind the wheel of the car before getting in.  That poor young woman appeared to be heading in the right direction for a bright future is now gone because of a mistake she made that never should have happened.  It is so sad, may she rest in peace.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

When I was in college it was pretty much carved in stone that females went to parties and bars with at least one other gf or more.  Sadly, I guess decades later, females still have to err on the side of caution. Evil is out there no matter how much we’d like to think not. ☹️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was always careful on campus when I was a student going to parties. I met my husband at one of these Frat parties.  

A few more details. I heard today that there was another person in the car with Rowland.  A female. (on CNN) But I don't know yet of any connection to the murder.  But she was in the car with him when the police captured him.   We'll have to see about that.  Police don't believe she is involved, but she was with him.Only CNN reported it.  It could be nothing.  Jean Casarez has reported this today.  Samantha was also transported in that car 90 miles.   I associate Jean Casarez with Nancy Grace, so I take that bit of news with speculation.  We'll see.

Samantha will be buried Wednesday in a Jewish cemetery.  Jewish law forbids any autopsies unless obviously manner of death is unknown or killed 

Mention of the second woman in the car is on this CNN video

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/31/us/south-carolina-college-student-mom/index.html

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird - Yes, there was a female in the car when they stopped his car. They don't believe she is involved and is cooperating with police.

Esteemed Contributor

On the Uber website it lists the following 10 safety tips.

• Plan ahead. Before you request a ride, think about where you’re headed and review the safety features in the app so you know how to use them.
  • Request your ride inside. Avoid spending unnecessary time outside alone with your phone in your hand. Instead, wait indoors until the app shows your driver has arrived.
  • Get in the right car. Before you get in the car, check that license plate, driver photo, and driver name all match what’s listed in the app. Uber rides can only be requested through the app, so never get in a car with a driver who claims to be with Uber and offers a ride.
  • Be a backseat rider. If you’re riding alone, sit in the backseat. This ensures you can safely exit on either side of the vehicle to avoid moving traffic, and it gives you and your driver some personal space.
  • Buckle up. The Centers for Disease Control reports that seatbelt use is the most effective way to save lives and reduce injuries related to car accidents.
  • Share your trip details with a friend. While en route, tap “Share status” in the app to share your driver’s name, photo, license plate, and location with a friend or family member. They can track your trip and see your ETA without downloading the Uber app.
  • Protect your personal information. There’s no need to share your phone number or other contact information with your driver. If a rider and driver need to contact each other, the Uber app automatically anonymizes both phone numbers to protect everyone’s privacy.
  • Follow your intuition. Trust your instincts and use your best judgement when riding with Uber. And if you ever feel you’re in an emergency situation, call 911 immediately.
  • Be kind and respectful. As outlined in our community guidelines, please respect your driver and his or her car.
  • Give feedback on your trip. Your feedback helps us improve the Uber experience for everyone. Our 24/7 global support team reviews feedback and will follow up with appropriate action on any reports of conduct that violate our community guidelines.
Honored Contributor

@songbird 

An updated article I read this AM said that Samantha had injuries to her face, head, neck, upper body, leg and foot.

Law enforcement still hasn't disclosed her manner of death though.

He definitely beat her up pretty bad with all of those injuries.

This AM her go fund me page had already reached $56,000, but the goal was only $5,000.

No amount of money can ease the pain her family and loved ones are going through.

RIP Sami.Heart

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6871927/Mom-student-killed-fake-Uber-driver-slams-vile-kill...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I was always careful on campus when I was a student going to parties. I met my husband at one of these Frat parties.  

A few more details. I heard today that there was another person in the car with Rowland.  A female. (on CNN) But I don't know yet of any connection to the murder.  But she was in the car with him when the police captured him.   We'll have to see about that.  Police don't believe she is involved, but she was with him.Only CNN reported it.  It could be nothing.  Jean Casarez has reported this today.  Samantha was also transported in that car 90 miles.   I associate Jean Casarez with Nancy Grace, so I take that bit of news with speculation.  We'll see.

Samantha will be buried Wednesday in a Jewish cemetery.  Jewish law forbids any autopsies unless obviously manner of death is unknown or killed 

Mention of the second woman in the car is on this CNN video

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/31/us/south-carolina-college-student-mom/index.html

@songbird 

The Police were reporting yesterday a passenger at the time of the

arrest was with the killer in the same car. The reporter is just reporting

the facts given to them by the police....really not speculation when

the information is coming directly from Law Enforcement.