Honored Contributor

Re: Man Arrested in SC College Student Death/Uber 'Mistake'

It’s too bad Uber’s name is getting dragged down with this.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s too bad Uber’s name is getting dragged down with this.

I don't think "Uber's name is getting dragged down with this", even Law Enforcement has acknowledged that she did not follow the safeguards that Uber has in place, to be sure it's your Uber ride, before getting in the car.

An unfortunate mistake on her part, that cost her her life.

If you watch the video of her getting into the car, there were a lot of people outside the bar, all of whom said they also 'thought' it was her Uber ride.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I struggle with accepting is that it is such a "badge of having a good time" to get plastered.  Intoxication can lead to costly lapses in judgment.

Of course someone could be drinking to keep up with the crowd, because of personal insecurities, etc., but for some, it is "cool" behavior to get smashed.  This is certainly nothing new, but have movies like The Hangover made losing full awareness through alcohol usage or drugs (as was the case in The Hangover) a desired state of being?

Circumstances are different, but this crime has shades of the tragedy that befell Hannah Graham, the University of Virginia student who was drunk, became disoriented as she tried to find her way back to her new apartment at the beginning of the new school year and was preyed upon and then raped and murdered by someone like the USC student's murderer.  These evil creeps know where to go to seek their victims.   The cold-bloodedness of this gives me the shivers.

No one should ever let a friend or acquaintance who is three sheets to the wind (especially if female) go home alone.  They might be an adult, but obviously horrific things can happen.  Hannah had been hanging out with several girlfriends prior to her tragedy.  They'd all been drinking.  As I recall, some reported that she then went to a party alone, but I do not remember if that was ever verified.  Later, when lost trying to find her way back to her apartment, she texted her girlfriends, none of whom came to her aid.  I wonder how they live with that reality. 

Hannah Graham's murderer was also guilty of murdering a Virginia Tech female student at a music venue near the University of Virginia.  That murder happened years before that of Hannah.  He knew what to look for and when. 

Hannah was a brilliant honors student, by the way.

The Hannah Graham Tragedy Has a Wiki Page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Hannah_Graham

Honored Contributor

Who said Samantha was drunk?  Just because she was leaving a bar does not mean she was so intoxicated that she couldn't figure out that this was not Uber.

If she called Uber, then why are her friends being bashed for letting her get a responsible ride, drunk or not.

Sounds as though some think a young woman out with friends shouldn't have a drink and that her friends should have all made sure that this was truly Uber.

Who is to say the friends were all more sober and therefore more responsible for what happened?

This lovely young woman made a fatal mistake.  Nobody is to blame except for the man who murdered her.

Nobody.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Gosh, Cakers.  You have a point but you sound mighty strident.  Why?

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

I wonder if this girl had experience with Uber, there are safety checks one can employ when getting into a car you think is Uber, you are given the make, model, color and plate number of the pick up vehicle, also you need to ask the driver who are you here to pick up.

It is horrible what happened to this young girl, and unfortuante that life is not as easy as it once was

@Cakers3 wrote:

Who said Samantha was drunk?  Just because she was leaving a bar does not mean she was so intoxicated that she couldn't figure out that this was not Uber.

If she called Uber, then why are her friends being bashed for letting her get a responsible ride, drunk or not.

Sounds as though some think a young woman out with friends shouldn't have a drink and that her friends should have all made sure that this was truly Uber.

Who is to say the friends were all more sober and therefore more responsible for what happened?

This lovely young woman made a fatal mistake.  Nobody is to blame except for the man who murdered her.

Nobody.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I wonder if he has done this before? I am glad they got him. The poor girl ,but for the grace of God ,it could have been any of us. It sounds like he had murder on his mind that night and she just made a mistake that cost her , her life

God rest her soul. She might have been just dog tired, and drinking had nothing to do with it, it was the wee hrs

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I wonder if he has done this before? I am glad they got him. The poor girl ,but for the grace of God ,it could have been any of us. It sounds like he had murder on his mind that night and she just made a mistake that cost her , her life

God rest her soul. She might have been just dog tired, and drinking had nothing to do with it, it was the wee hrs

@cherry 

It's interesting that you mentioned what I bolded above.

He was arrested in the same area of that bar, so it may have been his 'hunting ground'.

Also, there was a woman that knew him, in the car with him when he was arrested, that is said to be 'cooperating with police'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@GCR18 This is a "death penalty" case if there ever was one.

Honored Contributor

I'm still confused about this, every time I've taken an Uber, the driver not only confirms I'm the right passenger but I get a text confirming the vehicle.