Respected Contributor

Re: Man Arrested in Mollie Tibbetts Murder

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Mollie was supposedly Facebook (or other) friends with Rivera's girlfriend/ /mother of his child.  

(updated from the DailyMailUK  8/22/18...)

Prominent Iowa family which owns farm where Mollie Tibbetts' alleged killer worked say he PASSED government's migrant background check.

Dane Lang, co-owner of Yarrabee Farms along with Eric Lang, confirmed that Rivera had worked there for four years and was an employee 'of good standing.'

Dane's brother is Craig Lang, former president of the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation and the Iowa Board of Regents, and a 2018 candidate for state Secretary of Agriculture. 

"He was vetted through the government's E-Verify system."

The E-Verify site allows employers to establish the eligibility of employees, both US or foreign, by comparing a worker's Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 with data held by the government.

The employee is eligible to work in the US if the data matches. If it doesn't, the worker has only eight federal government work days to resolve the issue.  

Despite the Lang family using the system, police say Rivera had been in the US illegally for between four and seven years.

It’s understood the company hires around 15 migrant workers, most of whom are believed to be Mexican. 

Rivera is believed to have lived with a number of other migrant workers on a secluded farmhouse in Brooklyn owned by their employer.  

Workers associated with the farm told DailyMail.com that they barely knew Rivera, but confirmed that he lived there with a girlfriend named Iris Monarrez and their baby.

Another aspect of identy theft that most don't realize.

Not necessarily. He could have  entered the country legally and overstayed. He may have had a green card and would pass e-verify.  

I'm confused.  Based on the above, he worked there for 4 years.  Police say he'd been in the country illegally for between 4 and 7 years.  So how would he get a green card during the time he was here illegally?

Respected Contributor

I just can't imagine the sadness her family is feeling.  I can't imagine going to bed every night sad and hoping you'll have a good dream about your sweet daughter.  I can't imagine waking in the morning, thinking all of this was a terrible nightmare and realizing, no, it really happened and I've got to go on with my life without her.  It's just so very sad.  Peace to Mollie and her family and friends.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I hope this sick demented creep rots in jail!!  Mollie was a beautiful young woman with a bright future .My heart  ❤️ goes out to her family.I can’t imagine their pain.

In our jail - after we pay for the trial, we can then pay for his incarceration.  But could we deport him - oh noooooooo.  That would be hateful - or something.

Also love how the press has now fixated on his "blackout."  

No politics pls. Mollie’s aunt said it best today, according to news reports: “Evil comes in all colors.”

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Mollie was supposedly Facebook (or other) friends with Rivera's girlfriend/ /mother of his child.  

(updated from the DailyMailUK  8/22/18...)

Prominent Iowa family which owns farm where Mollie Tibbetts' alleged killer worked say he PASSED government's migrant background check.

Dane Lang, co-owner of Yarrabee Farms along with Eric Lang, confirmed that Rivera had worked there for four years and was an employee 'of good standing.'

Dane's brother is Craig Lang, former president of the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation and the Iowa Board of Regents, and a 2018 candidate for state Secretary of Agriculture. 

"He was vetted through the government's E-Verify system."

The E-Verify site allows employers to establish the eligibility of employees, both US or foreign, by comparing a worker's Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 with data held by the government.

The employee is eligible to work in the US if the data matches. If it doesn't, the worker has only eight federal government work days to resolve the issue.  

Despite the Lang family using the system, police say Rivera had been in the US illegally for between four and seven years.

It’s understood the company hires around 15 migrant workers, most of whom are believed to be Mexican. 

Rivera is believed to have lived with a number of other migrant workers on a secluded farmhouse in Brooklyn owned by their employer.  

Workers associated with the farm told DailyMail.com that they barely knew Rivera, but confirmed that he lived there with a girlfriend named Iris Monarrez and their baby.

Another aspect of identy theft that most don't realize.

Not necessarily. He could have  entered the country legally and overstayed. He may have had a green card and would pass e-verify.  

Green cards are issued for those with permanent residence status.  The Department of Homeland Security confirmed the status that is being reported.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer one half of undocumented immigrants never crossed a border illegally, but came here on temporary visas. It's possible this killer came here to work temporarily and just never went back. The employer would run the e-verify initially and perhaps never run it again.  My point is that not every undocumented person working here has stolen someone's identity.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I hope this sick demented creep rots in jail!!  Mollie was a beautiful young woman with a bright future .My heart  ❤️ goes out to her family.I can’t imagine their pain.

In our jail - after we pay for the trial, we can then pay for his incarceration.  But could we deport him - oh noooooooo.  That would be hateful - or something.

Also love how the press has now fixated on his "blackout."  

Well too bad we cant deport the husband who killed his wife, unborn baby and two daughters.  Oh wait he is from here.

I already specifically responded to that.  So again, since citizens commit crimes, we should import criminals too?  Or are you suggesting there is something about the U.S. in general that just makes people commit murder?  What?

The point is the vast majority of murders are perpetrated by home grown criminals. The undocumented angle is being played to further the hate agenda toward immigrants.

Stop with the "hate" agenda.  The fact remains that if we enforced our immigration laws, she would still be aive.  If she had been killed by a citizen who had committed some other crime for which he should have been in jail at the time of her murder, but instead, due to sympathy for his situation, he was never even arrested or charged, would you still argue that nothing could have prevented it - because crime just happens somehow?

Respected Contributor

Mollie must come from such a good family. Her aunt reminded everyone today, “Evil comes in all colors.”

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

@Isobel Archer one half of undocumented immigrants never crossed a border illegally, but came here on temporary visas. It's possible this killer came here to work temporarily and just never went back. The employer would run the e-verify initially and perhaps never run it again.  My point is that not every undocumented person working here has stolen someone's identity.

I never said that ALL undocumented people steal identities.  I said that if they are here illegally and work (not under the table), they need to steal identity to work.

In this case, according to the cited material, police say he was here illegally for over 4 years (between 4 and 7).  It also says he worked there 4 years.  So how did he "overstay" his green card?  

And if he had "temporary" documentation to work, wouldn't that have to be renewed?

QVC Customer Care