Honored Contributor

Re: Man, 87, Searches for Job to Pay for Wife's Medical Bills:

@Carmie wrote:

I agree with those that say this story is fishy and raises many flags.

Here in the US, we have special Medicare programs for low income people.  You  get info on this program right after you sign up  for Medicare.  It is available on line and SS offices and senior centers.

You can also get Medicaid along with Medicare and even roll both Medicare and Medicare into a Advantage Plan of sorts. There are even advertisement in TV about this program.

i don't believe this story it at all....sounds like fake news to me.  It'll probably be productive for this couple and they will get  $$$$ funds from a go fund me account.

@Carmie  That's fine if this couple qualifies as low income.  Medicare doesn't pay for everything 100%, either.  Neither do Advantage Plans.  You know this.

I don't doubt this story; I don't know this couple but they sure as sugar represent the downfall of healthcare in our country.  If they get some $ out of the GoFundMe account, so be it.  It isn't up to us to determine if they deserve it or not.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I think this is just sad and we should be irate that this happens.  You can thank health insurance companies for this.

I hope some one will step up to the plate for these wonderful people.

What do insurance companies have to do with this couple's situation?

First  I don't believe the story.  We have programs available to people who do not have money and insurance...especially for seniors.

Also, I remember my mother telling me when I was a teen that some people spend every dime as fast as they make it and save nothing.   Others will do without just to have a savings account.  Which person will make out better in their senior years?  

Sometimes the less you have, the better you make out.  Somone will come to your rescue.  Those who have almost enough, and saved...get no help and will have to make do with what little they have.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Here in the US, we have special Medicare programs for low income people.  You  get info on this program right after you sign up  for Medicare.  It is available on line and SS offices and senior centers.

You can also get Medicaid along with Medicare and even roll both Medicare and Medicare into a Advantage Plan of sorts. There are even advertisement in TV about this program.

i don't believe this story it at all....sounds like fake news to me.  It'll probably be productive for this couple and they will get  $$$$ funds from a go fund me account.

@Carmie  That's fine if this couple qualifies as low income.  Medicare doesn't pay for everything 100%, either.  Neither do Advantage Plans.  You know this.

I don't doubt this story; I don't know this couple but they sure as sugar represent the downfall of healthcare in our country.  If they get some $ out of the GoFundMe account, so be it.  It isn't up to us to determine if they deserve it or not.

If you have Medicare and Medicaid, 100% of your medical bills are paid....if you roll it over into a special program, you get 100% dental, eye and RX coverage along with some over the counter drugs covered.

if you choose to  have any type of  Medicare, it will be primary.  All deductibles and copays will be paid by Medicaid. 

You will also pay less than $134 a month for medicare if you are low income.

Respected Contributor

Maybe this man was a really good financial planner, but has run through all his savings because of his wife's long illness. Typical to see an 87 year old man blamed for not being able to pay medical bills.

This is another example of why we need universal health care in this country. No one should have to go broke paying for lifesaving medicines or treatment. Sad.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

If you have Medicare and Medicaid, 100% of your medical bills are paid....if you roll it over into a special program, you get 100% dental, eye and RX coverage along with some over the counter drugs covered.

@Carmie  I said Medicare and Advantage Plans.  The combined Medicaid/Medicare is another issue.

It is assumed that this couple are out to scam everyone; we don't know their financial status.

And as I said earlier, being a financial planner will never guarantee having funds well into ones 80's. 

Why are people so quick to denigrate people in need?  Nobody is twisting arms for donations.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie  I said Medicare and Advantage Plans.  The combined Medicaid/Medicare is another issue.

It is assumed that this couple are out to scam everyone; we don't know their financial status.

And as I said earlier, being a financial planner will never guarantee having funds well into ones 80's. 

Why are people so quick to denigrate people in need?  Nobody is twisting arms for donations.

I understand what you are saying, but like I said, if this couple was low income as the article said...having to sell their goods to stay afloat, they would get free or almost free healthcare that pays 100% for everything.

There  are Federal as well as state programs available for poor seniors.  All they have to do is fill out an application.  The coverage available is better than anything you or I could buy...in fact this type of 100% coverage is ONLY available to poor seniors.

Esteemed Contributor

Really like reading about the wild assumptions and character assinations on these posts.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  It amazes me that anyone would put this story on the internet to begin with.

The  decent thing to do would be to take them to the senior help center to apply for aid it sounds like they desperately need. There is no need for them to have to be in this position and suffering at this stage in their life.

I wouldn't not appreciate my story being out there if I was needing help.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

It's truly sad.

OTOH, we are being sold the idea of "just work longer" because your pension plan went broke.

Yet Les Moonves retires w/a $100 million nest egg. Somethings off.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  It amazes me that anyone would put this story on the internet to begin with.

The  decent thing to do would be to take them to the senior help center to apply for aid it sounds like they desperately need. There is no need for them to have to be in this position and suffering at this stage in their life.

I wouldn't not appreciate my story being out there if I was needing help.

It was a story covered on the local news, they did not post it on the Internet.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.