Frequent Contributor

Mammogram advisory and Moderna vaccine

[ Edited ]

Had my second Moderna Vaccine on March 2nd. Finally went back in person to my primary care doctor. I was scheduled for my first Mammogram in over a year at the Breast Research Center. I usually go every 6 months as I have family  history and other risk factors. It's a 3D mammogram. The scheduler at the Research center saw the date of my vaccines and scheduled me for a couple of weeks from now. She warned me that they have had a high false positive rate from those who have been vaccinated  2 months out. She said it is most likely from swollen lymph nodes.  I always get a call back anyway and they ultrasound. I wanted to inform other women who may be going for a mammogram soon. Don't be afraid if you get called back. It may be a false positive.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mammogram advisory and Moderna vaccine

Thank you for posting about this. It's the first I heard about it.

I Googled and found this article, which I found very informative.

COVID-19 Vaccine: Can It Affect Your Mammogram Results? | Johns Hopkins Medicine

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@arizele @lmt 

Thanks. I had not heard this.

Esteemed Contributor

I am aware of this only because when I scheduled my first appointment for my vaccine, it was listed in the advisory information. I ended up calling my aunt, and by chance mentioned it to her.  She was on her way for her mammogram and immediately got off the phone with me and called her center where they rescheduled her appointment for the reasons you listed. She received the Pfizer injection. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had heard about this issue and discussed it with my internist.  She said to wait more than the 2-3 months that I had read about.  She decided that I should wait until July (I had my vaccine doses in early and late February), just to be absolutely sure that there won't be a "false" reading due to swollen lympth nodes.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for posting the John Hopkins link Imt. Very informative. So it seems it can happen with the Pfizer vaccine too. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting this information 😊

Esteemed Contributor

We are being told to wait at least 6 weeks after the last vaccine.

Super Contributor

My son who is 50 yrs. old ,had his second Pfizer shot.  3 in the morning he felt a lump in his left armpit.  He said it hurt.  So I fixed him up with an ice bag.  Swelling went down and so did the pain and lump.  He also had a fever 99.1. Gave 2 Tylenol's and he woke up just fine.  

Esteemed Contributor

I first heard about this a couple of months ago on the morning of my mammogram.  I had had my first Moderna the Saturday prior.  I went in and one of the Qs was had you had the vax so I explained I just heard the issue with the vax and mammograms that morning and had my first vax on Sat.  She said if I want to cancel I can but she thought that was close enough in time I should be ok.   I went ahead and had it done since I was there and thank goodness it came out fine.