Honored Contributor

When I drive by the mall, it seems like there is a good amount of cars in the parking lot.  If Sears and Macy's close, the mall could be in trouble.  I feel bad, but know I'm part of the problem by shopping on line.

Honored Contributor

Fascinating! Seems to me malls have come full circle. Forty years ago malls came about ruining small family owned businesses. Speak from experience. Family's clothing stores throughout upstate New York could not compete. Watched downtown change! This happened throughout small town America. Fast forward to present day! Malls are history. 

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

Today, I went to the mall to return an item to Macy's. I live in CO and went to Broomfield. This is a huge mall. The mall was nearly empty. I went into Christopher Banks and they were closing the store. The closest store to me would be Westminster,CO. This is where alot of the stores are relocating. JC Penney kept this store open in Westminster. I think it is an hour drive from my house. Where I live I only have a few stores around my area (i.e. Marshalls, Ross, Kohl's). If I want to go to a mall it is a 30 to 45 minute drive one way.

It is sad to see the retail market taking a nose dive. There is no coming back. I think online shopping is going to be the way of the future. Sad, because I do like to go to the malls and try on clothing and shoes.

@elated

I am experiencing the same thing where I live.  It makes me so sad and upset.  I am a mall shopper through and through.  I don't understand why people enjoy the strip malls better than a nice enclosed, climate controlled mall!  The other day I had some shopping to do and it was a really bad day.  Cold, snowy, windy.  I had to keep going in and out of stores.  I quit way before I wanted to because I was just frozen and fed up.  If I had been in an enclosed mall, I would have gone on for hours more!

I do see a need for on-line shopping, don't get me wrong.  It's great for people who are elderly and others who have health issues, mobility issues, etc.  It's wonderful for locatng things which you can't find any where.

However, for me, there is nothing like the experience of shopping at real stores! I have always enjoyed shopping.  It's not a burden to me.  It's fun and a way to get out and see what's what and be in the world!  

I am seeing more and more stores closing around me.  And I live in a very small, country area.  I mean, people have to shop somewhere!  Let's face it --- Walmart is good for some things, but I don't want this to be my only real live store to shop at!

Very discouraging.  I sure hope that things turn around and stores and malls can be revitalized some way, some how!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

Rolling Hills Mall closed in 2008 in Ohio.   Most beautiful fountain I have ever seen.  They tore it down this past year.   Has a wicked past.  Someone was stealing copper in there and got electrocuted and died.   Then someone hung themselves on the property, behind the Mall.  Then someone put a ad on Craiglist for a job.  Guy met him there and killed him. 

@BalletBabe

That was a beautiful mall!  I was not aware of all of the bad events there.  Terrible!  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, I was surprised to see the comment about the movie theatres.  With so much streaming going on now, I would have thought the theatres were taking a hit in attendance.  I can’t remember the last time I went to a movie but I never went that much so I am probably not a good barometer of what attendance is like.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe, Sears closed their last store in Canada last week.  LM

Honored Contributor

I already posted but wanted to talk about the past malls.  We had 2, not huge malls, but they were both really nice.  The smaller one, I heard that there were problems with the landlords.  He kept rasing the rent so much that the stores were having a hard time meeting the rent raises and slowly one by one they kept going out.  Now, there is nothing but a shell there and it is falling in.  At one time, there were so many great stores there of all kinds and many places to eat.  I can remember when I used to pick up my mother and  we would spend the whole day there.  We would shop for awhile and then go and get a coffee and a pastry and rest up.  Then, shop some more and when we were hungry, we had several nice places to get a meal.  There were home goods stores, clothing stores, drug stores, book shops, record shops --- you name it.  All under one roof!

Now, we have one mall left.  It used to be awesome.  Now, our Macy's closed it looks like Sears is about ready to go.  We have had about 2/3rds of the stores go.  This mall is hanging on by a thread.  

We have a Walmart and a strip mall.  That's it.  So, obviously, people are shopping somewhere -- but where?  On line?  Or maybe shopping very little.  However, there is a wonderful mall about one hour away and it still seems to be very prosperous and very busy.  

I would love to see a resurgence in malls.  Personally, its good for the local economy and it's, I think, a nice thing for families to do.  Get together and shop, get a meal and even go to a movie!  

Honored Contributor

We have two malls in White Plains, the largest city in the area.

The Galleria has gone through a series of changes over the years, JC Penny left and Sears came in, many of the smaller stores like Lane Bryant closed.The last time I was there it was empty and creepy

The second mall has Target, a small community theater, a huge multiplex as well as a Shop Rite and Barnes and Noble, this mall seems to be doing well, I think the movies bring customers in and they shop in the other stores.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

The last time I went to our Mall was to see Santa with the Granddaughter.......I don't shop there anymore...

Trusted Contributor

where i live, it’s hardly ever full. even during the holidays. i’ve been noticing this for the past couple of years. one of the older malls even smells stale. maybe from the old carpeting? it makes the place less inviting.