Honored Contributor

For many, many years my DH has given me money for my January birthday and I've gone to the mall sometime in January.Always , the malls have been practically empty in January.If the stores really wanted to get people in to shop they would offer serious bargains to attract customers. 

The mall in our town seemed to have many "mall walkers" but no buyers.Mall walkers are folks who go to the mall to walk for exercise when the weather is too bad to walk outside.

Honored Contributor

Re: Malls --- A Dying Breed

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

But sometimes Malls reinvent themselves.  Case in point in today's news: one of the ten finalists for Amazon's new headquarters is Montgomery County Md , that is offering as part of its package converting (closed) White Flint Mall as Amazon's new campus.  If that happens ( and it very well may), what a great new use for a former Mall.

@patbz There is no White Flint Mall. That mall was torn down years ago. What still stands is a separate  Lord & Taylor that has been involved in a law suit since the mall was destroyed; their building was not part of the mall and they are going after damages from the mall owner and the county. Long story.

The area of White Flint is....a mess. Traffic is horrible but there is a Metro station there as well as near MARC tracks; which is something Amazon wants (public transportation). The land that is just sitting there was to be converted into luxury highrises and condos but the lawsuit has prevented development. It sits adjacent to a HUGE park/preserve. Being honest, if this is where Amazon is building, thank God I don't live there any more. What a NIGHTMARE that is going to be.

Edited for grammar.

Honored Contributor

It has been years since we have been to any mall.

Honored Contributor

Not only the malls, but also the surrounding businesses, too. Here there are small strip malls located near the malls that have pretty much closed up. Gas stations near malls are struggling to stay in business. It seems like a big snow ball effect to me.

Respected Contributor

Re: Malls --- A Dying Breed

[ Edited ]

It seems retail and online businesses are in such a state of change with stores and malls affected, Amazon looking to expand geographically and into different sectors (think Whole Foods). Penneys, Sears, Macy's struggling.

Thursday I visited a massive "outlet," and it was like a ghost town.  Also my favorite stores were gone (Eddie Bauer, Reebok).  I asked a clerk where were the customers?  She said it was like this during the week but the weekends were very busy.

I escaped the holidays without visiting my local mall to shop.  It's an overcrowded place, too big to walk the whole thing, kiiosk people bug you as you walk by.Not pleasant. Weekends, forget going because you might be able to drive there but parking is very difficult, circle around and wait, wait.    

Based on the replies here, it seems some malls are thriving, some not.  I have visited one in AZ which seems to be failing, few businesses, few customers, even tho' the anchor store is Dillards.  

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

There are quite a few malls near me that are losing their anchor stores. And you wonder what is going to happen. One mall had a Strawbridges (gone) and the other 3 anchor stores are Sears, Penney's and Macys. Not sure what will happen there.

Not there is one mall that is going strong and in fact is expanding, King of Prussia Mall. It has many high end stores. And there are many stores around the mall. It is one huge complex. Plus parking is tough, so they built a multi level parking garage. 

It is the exception to the rule.

@drizzellla . Oxford Valley?  What a depressing mall!  We moved in the area 25 years ago from NJ and I never really liked it.  However I really liked Strawbridges a lot and it's a shame that the store has been empty now for many years.  I just don't go to that mall anymore though it's only 15 minutes away from me.

Instead I'll go to Quakerbridge in NJ which has been renovated in recent years and on the rare occasion out to KOP.

I really tend to mostly shop online though and don't shop in a mall as much as Iused to.  I can remember hanging out at the Cherry Hill Mall growing up in the late 60s & 70s.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I think it depends on where you live. We have malls around here that are packed on weekends and you fight to get a parking space. The restaurants are packed too that are located in them.

My daughter told me that the Garden State Plaza Mall is so packed on weekends, you need to circle the parking lot sometimes for a half an hour.

I would hate to see malls become extinct. I gauged my recovery from a heart attack by slowly but surely being able to walk the entirety of the mall. I often see mall walkers when I am there. It's a good way to get out of the house during the winter. And as far as buying shoes, on-line shopping just doesn't cut it for me. I hate returning things.

@Trinity11. Malls and stores in the area of Garden State Plaza are always busy. The malls in my area, a bit north, are busy and the dying one revamped. Higher end strip malls seem to be doing well here also.

@proudlyfromNJ....my favorite mall when I lived in N.J. was the Mall at Short Hills. I used to take my children there to see Santa and the Easter Bunny. I remember shopping in Bloomingdales and Baily Banks and Biddle which is long gone now. When Judith Ripka was selling her high end jewelry she had a little store there.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

There are quite a few malls near me that are losing their anchor stores. And you wonder what is going to happen. One mall had a Strawbridges (gone) and the other 3 anchor stores are Sears, Penney's and Macys. Not sure what will happen there.

Not there is one mall that is going strong and in fact is expanding, King of Prussia Mall. It has many high end stores. And there are many stores around the mall. It is one huge complex. Plus parking is tough, so they built a multi level parking garage. 

It is the exception to the rule.

@drizzellla . Oxford Valley?  What a depressing mall!  We moved in the area 25 years ago from NJ and I never really liked it.  However I really liked Strawbridges a lot and it's a shame that the store has been empty now for many years.  I just don't go to that mall anymore though it's only 15 minutes away from me.

Instead I'll go to Quakerbridge in NJ which has been renovated in recent years and on the rare occasion out to KOP.

I really tend to mostly shop online though and don't shop in a mall as much as Iused to.  I can remember hanging out at the Cherry Hill Mall growing up in the late 60s & 70s.

Yes, Oxford Valley! I worked at the Disney Store in Oxford Valley until 2000. And to be honest I did not care for Oxford Valley one little bit. Since I left the Disney Store, I bet I can count on one hand how many times I have been in that mall.

If I need a mall, I go to Neshaminy, a few miles from my house. I used to go to Cherry Hill Mall frequently. Back in the day they had a Warner Bros store AND a Disney Store.

Respected Contributor

There are a lot of malls within a 25 mile radius of our home in Northern Virginia. Pentagon City Mall seems to be one of the most successful ones. Landmark Mall, the one closest to us, closed recently, except for the Sears store. The deterioration of this Mall from the time we moved here 30+ years ago to the present is just sad. Originally, it was an “open air” mall with national anchors, as well as some lovely smaller local department stores and small specialty stores. When they expanded it and enclosed it about 20 years ago, it was still nice and served the area well. During the years before its closure, it had really gotten seedy. Even the Macy’s was pathetic - not much selection and mediocre quality. I stopped shopping at the mall because I didn’t feel safe walking in the mall by myself. They’re planning to turn it into a multi-use facility with apartments, stores, movie theaters, etc.  I’ll be interested to see how that goes (and if it happens in my lifetime). 

Springfield Mall’s a little farther down I-395 and we go there sometimes to eat and/or return something I bought online. They’ve got a lot of new restaurants and the usual stores. I’m sorry to say that the customer service leaves something to be desired. When I returned something to the Soma store there, the clerk was very helpful, but the store was so small that I had a hard time finding something in exchange for my return. Shortly before Christmas, I went to the Chico’s there to return something. There were 2 clerks there - the manager and a Christmas temp who had started the previous day. The manager couldn’t be bothered to talk to me. The temp was very nice and tried to help me, but she needed the manager to help process the return. I waited 20 to 30 minutes, trying on some other items while I was waiting. When she finally deigned to help me, the manager was pretty rude to the temp and didn’t offer any apology for the fact that she’d ignored me for so long. I won’t be going there again.

When you compare that to online ordering, it’s not surprising that shoppers are abandoning malls. If I have questions about merchandise while I’m on a website, I can initiate an online chat. The reps are knowledgeable or know who to consult if they can’t answer your questions. If I have a question for Amazon, I can ask them to call me back and they usually do so within a minute. Best of all, I can shop from the comfort of my home. I have no worries about parking, getting mugged at the mall, waiting in long lines, etc. I love to shop and would be happy to patronize a mall if it was a positive experience. Increasingly, that just isn’t the case anymore, so I’ll shop online (except for my Talbots clearance store 😉). 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@elated wrote:

Today, I went to the mall to return an item to Macy's. I live in CO and went to Broomfield. This is a huge mall. The mall was nearly empty. I went into Christopher Banks and they were closing the store. The closest store to me would be Westminster,CO. This is where alot of the stores are relocating. JC Penney kept this store open in Westminster. I think it is an hour drive from my house. Where I live I only have a few stores around my area (i.e. Marshalls, Ross, Kohl's). If I want to go to a mall it is a 30 to 45 minute drive one way.

It is sad to see the retail market taking a nose dive. There is no coming back. I think online shopping is going to be the way of the future. Sad, because I do like to go to the malls and try on clothing and shoes.

@elated

I am experiencing the same thing where I live.  It makes me so sad and upset.  I am a mall shopper through and through.  I don't understand why people enjoy the strip malls better than a nice enclosed, climate controlled mall!  The other day I had some shopping to do and it was a really bad day.  Cold, snowy, windy.  I had to keep going in and out of stores.  I quit way before I wanted to because I was just frozen and fed up.  If I had been in an enclosed mall, I would have gone on for hours more!

I do see a need for on-line shopping, don't get me wrong.  It's great for people who are elderly and others who have health issues, mobility issues, etc.  It's wonderful for locatng things which you can't find any where.

However, for me, there is nothing like the experience of shopping at real stores! I have always enjoyed shopping.  It's not a burden to me.  It's fun and a way to get out and see what's what and be in the world!  

I am seeing more and more stores closing around me.  And I live in a very small, country area.  I mean, people have to shop somewhere!  Let's face it --- Walmart is good for some things, but I don't want this to be my only real live store to shop at!

Very discouraging.  I sure hope that things turn around and stores and malls can be revitalized some way, some how!  

@AngelPuppy1 - It's funny because of all the things you listed for liking a mall are the same things that I don't like about a mall.  I hate having to drive around looking for a parking spot.  Then whenI I do get inside it's a lot of walking from store to store and not finding what I want.  I'll take shopping online anytime even if I have to pay shipping. 

I also like strip malls.  When I'm shopping it's usually for just one or two things.  I like pulling up in front of the store running in and leaving.  I don't want to walk a whole mall to get one item.