Honored Contributor

Re: Mall of America to Close for Thanksgiving

@Laura14 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I work in the hospitality industry and our biggest days are weekends and holidays.  If you choose employment in that field, you're going to work those time periods.  

I've never quite understood the outrage.  If you want your nights, weekends, and/or holidays off, etc.  then don't apply for or accept a job that requires that.  It's not a surprise.

Having said that, I'm glad the mall is asking the stores to close their brick and mortar spaces for the day.  Everyone can shop from home now and there is no reason to not give your employees a fixed day off every year especially when probably most of them do have family responsibilities during that time.  It's good PR and HR both ways.    

I think part of the issue is when some of these people took these jobs, the stores weren't opened on Thanksgiving.  Back when my mom worked for a retail store, they weren't open Thanksgiving day. 

I don't work in an industry that is open on holidays but if my bosses decided all of a sudden that Thanksgiving was going to be a work day, I'd be pretty peeved. 

@Lipstickdiva  I completely understand that.  But, I think you're still in an industry that is driven by the marketplace.  If the marketplace changes, you can't fault your employer for wanting to stay competitive so they can keep your job available to you the other 364 days a year.    

Don't think I won't be here complaining.  Woman LOL

@Lipstickdiva  Guilty with big mouth here too.   Everyone wants a day off!  Smiley Very Happy  

I want a month off.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Maybe this makes me a wild eyed anti government nutcase but if I were a business owner I would not want the government telling me when I can and cannot be open.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  I'm one of those CSRs.  It's crazy how my schedule has changed and what I am expected to do but I like to eat so I do it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@momtochloe  I'm one of those CSRs.  It's crazy how my schedule has changed and what I am expected to do but I like to eat so I do it.  Smiley Happy

@Laura14 I couldn't figure out a way to give you (((hugs))) so I thought I would go this route . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14 I couldn't figure out a way to give you (((hugs))) so I thought I would go this route . . . Heart

@momtochloe LOL  Thanks and back at ya!!   HeartHeart

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't have a Hallmark holiday or tons of family waiting for me but I still wouldn't want to work that day and I don't go shopping that day.  I like having the day off even if that means laying around my house doing absolutely nothing, all by myself. 

I like myself.  I have no problem spending time with me.  LOL    

Been there and done that alone, many years, as well as having to work all major holidays. I usually loved my alone days.

But it's the media, everyone around us and our childhoods that strongly reinforce in us that there are two days a year that should be spent in orgies of Norman Rockwell-ness with family - and if you either *cannot* OR do not want to indulge in precisely that way, then you stand out as freakish in some way and are either pitied, scorned, or both.

I loved having days off on my terms, in the sense that if Xmas for example was on a Friday and I did not want to sit at home without family on Xmas Day, because The World contrives to make us feel like **** when we do, I could work on that day, just to get through the day emotionally, and then choose to have Monday off instead so I could enjoy my free time the way I wanted to and not be made to feel like I was being punished because someone else controls what I "should" want.

I understand that people want to be off on holidays, but there are people who refuse to acknowledge that not *everyone* does, and that doesn't mean they hate the holiday and everyone who has it off, or that those who don't care are morally bankrupt monsters 👹

It's about choices, yes - and about realizing that there are some things about which we don't have a choice, no matter how much we wish we did.l

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Definitely, jobs that could once be counted on to be 9-5

M-F are often no longer that way. Companies gotta do what they gotta to to stay in business and stay competitive.

People who feel very, very strongly about company policies that may change after they are hired are entirely free to quit and work elsewhere, if it really is THAT important to them. Otherwise, they have to change. The govt is not going to force all stores to be closed on certain days of the year. Not an option, no matter how much some wish it was. And the entire country isn't going to fall apart because of that.

What I see on these forums every year are people who are retired who are unhappy because their children or grandchildren may no longer all be able to make it to the family meal they have traditionally prepared or overseen. I suspect that in many cases the younger generations don't care anywhere near as much as Boomers do.

@Moonchilde  I'm only one Gen Xer here but yes we do care.  And unless parents and grandparents want to pay my bills (mine do not), while I am of working age, I work.  And I think most families get that and will take you any time of the day or night over the holiday when you can get there.  

Hi, @Laura14

I did say 'many', but understand that tradition is tradition and that many also want to be there "on the day" if they can, of course.

And yes, I do agree that most families get that and just make rearrangements as necessary to have that family time - they do what they have to do, because it's the family time that's more important than the symbolic day/date.

But there are people posting who are expressing a rigidity that isn't practical IMO - as you said, you do what you need to do to pay the bills and no apologies (nor should you). I don't get those who make rigid proclamations and label those who don't fall into line with those ideas as "lesser people" in whatever way.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder how many posters who lament shopping on Thanksgiving will be the same posters who then turn around in another month or so and create threads about having no Christmas spirit, just get the day over with because they're so sad and depressed. And tired. And they don't like Christmas. It's not OK for some people to deal with Thanksgiving the way they wish, but evidently, it's OK for other people to want Christmas to be over with quickly and it's fine to deal with Christmas the way they want. 

I'm a little tired of hearing people say to close the stores because that's what they want. Close the stores on Sunday because that's what they want. Life does not revolve around what they want.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Definitely, jobs that could once be counted on to be 9-5

M-F are often no longer that way. Companies gotta do what they gotta to to stay in business and stay competitive.

People who feel very, very strongly about company policies that may change after they are hired are entirely free to quit and work elsewhere, if it really is THAT important to them. Otherwise, they have to change. The govt is not going to force all stores to be closed on certain days of the year. Not an option, no matter how much some wish it was. And the entire country isn't going to fall apart because of that.

What I see on these forums every year are people who are retired who are unhappy because their children or grandchildren may no longer all be able to make it to the family meal they have traditionally prepared or overseen. I suspect that in many cases the younger generations don't care anywhere near as much as Boomers do.

@Moonchilde  I'm only one Gen Xer here but yes we do care.  And unless parents and grandparents want to pay my bills (mine do not), while I am of working age, I work.  And I think most families get that and will take you any time of the day or night over the holiday when you can get there.  

Hi, @Laura14

I did say 'many', but understand that tradition is tradition and that many also want to be there "on the day" if they can, of course.

And yes, I do agree that most families get that and just make rearrangements as necessary to have that family time - they do what they have to do, because it's the family time that's more important than the symbolic day/date.

But there are people posting who are expressing a rigidity that isn't practical IMO - as you said, you do what you need to do to pay the bills and no apologies (nor should you). I don't get those who make rigid proclamations and label those who don't fall into line with those ideas as "lesser people" in whatever way.

@Moonchilde  I agree about not lumping everyone together or criticizing anyone for doing what works for them.  That's not okay.  

I personally think the biggest issue among all of us is we get so caught up in our own lives we forget about the other person's point of view.  Older generations lose touch with what it's like to have a boss on you and a paycheck you don't want to lose.

And younger generations need to understand that holidays may be one of the few times grandparents and other family members get to see and enjoy the family for any extended length of time.  And a lot of them have gone to a great deal of trouble and expense to get there for the limited amount of time they have.  

It's really tough to balance everyone's expectations.  Retailers, family, extended family, finances, etc..  I don't know that we will ever get it all figured out.  

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

I wonder how many posters who lament shopping on Thanksgiving will be the same posters who then turn around in another month or so and create threads about having no Christmas spirit, just get the day over with because they're so sad and depressed. And tired. And they don't like Christmas. It's not OK for some people to deal with Thanksgiving the way they wish, but evidently, it's OK for other people to want Christmas to be over with quickly and it's fine to deal with Christmas the way they want. 

I'm a little tired of hearing people say to close the stores because that's what they want. Close the stores on Sunday because that's what they want. Life does not revolve around what they want.

ITA. What I find somewhat amusing in these Holiday threads is how vehemently older posters, who will comment elsewhere in the forum that Gen Xers and Millennials are so me-me-me and entitled, are the ones who insist that as far as holiday issues go there is only one "right" way of looking at things - THEIRS.