Honored Contributor

Re: Mall of America to Close for Thanksgiving

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I work in the hospitality industry and our biggest days are weekends and holidays.  If you choose employment in that field, you're going to work those time periods.  

I've never quite understood the outrage.  If you want your nights, weekends, and/or holidays off, etc.  then don't apply for or accept a job that requires that.  It's not a surprise.

Having said that, I'm glad the mall is asking the stores to close their brick and mortar spaces for the day.  Everyone can shop from home now and there is no reason to not give your employees a fixed day off every year especially when probably most of them do have family responsibilities during that time.  It's good PR and HR both ways.    

I think part of the issue is when some of these people took these jobs, the stores weren't opened on Thanksgiving.  Back when my mom worked for a retail store, they weren't open Thanksgiving day. 

I don't work in an industry that is open on holidays but if my bosses decided all of a sudden that Thanksgiving was going to be a work day, I'd be pretty peeved. 

@Lipstickdiva  I completely understand that.  But, I think you're still in an industry that is driven by the marketplace.  If the marketplace changes, you can't fault your employer for wanting to stay competitive so they can keep your job available to you the other 364 days a year.    

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Many people really would rather work (and get OT) than have to spend the day with their families.

Thanksgiving isn't a Rockwell painting for a lot of people.

Way to many people like to live in the past.  The world has changed.

Or they like to live in a world that really never was.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Over the past couple of years many people here pushed for stores to be open Thanksgiving day.

We talk about family values but some people don't want to honor that.  Thanksgiving is a day for all Americans.  It's not about a particular religion or ethnicity, it's for all of us.

My take is that it's a made up holiday to shop and buy stuff!  Matter of fact the date was moved to encourage holiday shopping.  I can't remember what year.  It is amazing how everyone assumes we all have a Hallmark Card holiday and loads of family waiting for us.  And Christmas is basically 3 weeks down the pike from Thanksgiving. . . and you have to cook all that stuff again.

Thinking back, the holiday was nice when I was a kid and mom cooked the meal and my favorite aunts and uncles and a cousin showed up.  After I was a teenager it was me and mom wrestling the darned turkey (or duck or goose or pheasants), trying to get everything done at the same time (especially harried when we only had one oven), serving, carving, and cleaning up the mess.  So, no, it isn't particularly a favorite day of mine.  It was usually warm where we lived and I remember sitting down at the table sweating. . . after working from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. cooking. It would be about 4 in the afternoon before it was all done.

Also, if we still had Sunday stores closed, how many people would simply be out of work?

My really favorite family thing always was burgers on the grill during warmer days here!  Now that's a holiday to me! 

@Sooner

I'm pretty sure "everyone" does not assume that. 

What I don't get is why do so many who hate Thanksgiving want to ruin it for those of us that like it?

Re: cooking: The three of us were sick last year, I ordered everything we wanted for dinner already made from a grocery store.  No one HAS to cook.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Many people really would rather work (and get OT) than have to spend the day with their families.

@QueenDanceALot & @CrazyDaisy

Why the need for nasty and disparaging comments?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Over the past couple of years many people here pushed for stores to be open Thanksgiving day.

We talk about family values but some people don't want to honor that.  Thanksgiving is a day for all Americans.  It's not about a particular religion or ethnicity, it's for all of us.

My take is that it's a made up holiday to shop and buy stuff!  Matter of fact the date was moved to encourage holiday shopping.  I can't remember what year.  It is amazing how everyone assumes we all have a Hallmark Card holiday and loads of family waiting for us.  And Christmas is basically 3 weeks down the pike from Thanksgiving. . . and you have to cook all that stuff again.

Thinking back, the holiday was nice when I was a kid and mom cooked the meal and my favorite aunts and uncles and a cousin showed up.  After I was a teenager it was me and mom wrestling the darned turkey (or duck or goose or pheasants), trying to get everything done at the same time (especially harried when we only had one oven), serving, carving, and cleaning up the mess.  So, no, it isn't particularly a favorite day of mine.  It was usually warm where we lived and I remember sitting down at the table sweating. . . after working from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. cooking. It would be about 4 in the afternoon before it was all done.

Also, if we still had Sunday stores closed, how many people would simply be out of work?

My really favorite family thing always was burgers on the grill during warmer days here!  Now that's a holiday to me! 

@Sooner

What I don't get is why do so many who hate Thanksgiving want to ruin it for those of us that like it?

Re: cooking: The three of us were sick last year, I ordered everything we wanted for dinner already made from a grocery store.  No one HAS to cook.

Opening stores and restaurants simply could not "ruin it for" those who like it.  Really:  If I were at   the mall you couldn't enjoy your holiday?

And lots of people have to work holidays, lots volunteer for work (one of my uncles ALWAYS wanted to work holidays).  Lots of people have to go back to work the next day anyway and can't travel to family holidays. . . etc.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I didn't make nasty or disparaging comments.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner

Opening stores and restaurants simply could not "ruin it for" those who like it.  Really:  If I were at   the mall you couldn't enjoy your holiday?

And lots of people have to work holidays, lots volunteer for work (one of my uncles ALWAYS wanted to work holidays).  Lots of people have to go back to work the next day anyway and can't travel to family holidays. . . etc.

@Sooner

I wasn't referring to stores.  I was referring to people here who are angry that some of us like Thanksgiving.  People who make nasty remarks about those of us who do. 

Some people have to work?  No kidding?  As if we didn't already know that.  When I had to work on holidays, I didn't say nasty things about those who didn't.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I didn't make nasty or disparaging comments.

@QueenDanceALot

Yes, you did.

"Or they like to live in a world that really never was."

Honored Contributor

There's a gal who's a cashier at my local grocery store .... she said she volunteers for EVERY holiday because it gives her a chance to make extra $$ for holiday pay and overtime.  Not everyone hates having to work on holidays.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner

I worked holidays for many years when I worked with horses.  They don't know about Thanksgiving or Christmas or the 4th of July.  They required care 365 days a year.

I spent the holiday time with friends (or not) after I got off work.  Most of my friends worked, too, and we all just would work around it,  Not such a big deal.