Honored Contributor

Re: Mall of America to Close for Thanksgiving

@ValuSkr wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

If folks in the Minneapolis region wish to shop that day there will be other retail establishments that will be available.

That's good.  No doubt, some people would rather shop than "spend time with their families." 

Those aren't the only options, family or shopping. Smiley Happy My family lives in another state and I don't visit them (I'd rather spend the money visiting for Christmas, it's not that I don't like them!) or go shopping.

Honored Contributor

I am fine with their decision -  but I don't believe the reason they gave has a whole lot of truth in it.

Honored Contributor

I hope other malls and retailers follow this example.  People don't need to be shopping on Thanksgiving.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

For me, I was happy to read this story.  I am alone so if I had to work on Thanksgiving it wouldn't necessarily be a problem but the younger person in me (I am almost 60) misses the days when we looked forward to holidays and appreciated them for what they were originally intended to be whether you celebrate with folks or not.

It just makes me a little sad that on a day that we are to celebrate giving thanks folks are fighting crowds, pushing and shoving (and at times fighting) instead of taking what would quite possibly be a well needed breath.  There is plenty of time to shop between Thanksgiving and Christmas with tons of great sales.

Respected Contributor

I don't care one way or the other about their decision or other stores' decisions.  People just need to keep in mind that not every person needs.... or wants..... holidays off.  Don't assume.

Trusted Contributor

• I know people who fight to work holiday hours for the 2.5X pay for Christmas shopping.   Our stores are open but by working shifts families have their dinner at noon or evening.  For some the "holiday pay" is something to be thankful for.   Families whose jobs have been lost to "down sizing and reorganizing" so that new people at the bottom of the pay scale can be hired are now working 3 and 4 jobs to pay bills.   I watched it happen over 2 different periods of time where I was employed.  Those left had to pick up the slack.  Six months later the "unneeded jobs" appeared with a new job description and lower pay scale.  It is done in ways that are not illegal.  I hope that the loss of working hours does not hit to hard on those struggling to survive.
Honored Contributor

I would be willing to bet Macy's will not be closed on Thanksgiving

When I was in retail, Macy's always stayed open when the mall closed.

I always felt sorry for their employees.    My retailer's hours matched the mall hours.

@sidsmom wrote:

"......after several disappointing Thanksgiving-Black Friday weekends, it could well be that beyond this feel-good reasoning, mall operators and stores have found that extended hours haven’t led to more sales, but only more expenses. Not to mention bad PR from millions of Americans offended by the encroachment of seasonal shopping on a major family-oriented holiday."

The reasoning might not be as admirable as it first appears.

It's all about the bottom line. Period.

The anchor stores are Macy's & Sears.

Gad, wonder if they'll still be in business by Thanksgiving!?

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

For me, I was happy to read this story.  I am alone so if I had to work on Thanksgiving it wouldn't necessarily be a problem but the younger person in me (I am almost 60) misses the days when we looked forward to holidays and appreciated them for what they were originally intended to be whether you celebrate with folks or not.

It just makes me a little sad that on a day that we are to celebrate giving thanks folks are fighting crowds, pushing and shoving (and at times fighting) instead of taking what would quite possibly be a well needed breath.  There is plenty of time to shop between Thanksgiving and Christmas with tons of great sales.

@momtochloe,

I am alone, too, ...a sole survivor. I do miss the holidays with my once family. After they were gone I worked every single holiday there was. Guess is was my coping mechanism. Now retired at 61, I still miss those days. But now instead of working, I'm shoppin'! Woman Very Happy Retail therapy.

Honored Contributor

I worked in a hospital OR, and we were all thrilled when the hospital gave us the day after Thanksgiving in place of Good Friday. Of course we had call, and had to take turns working in case of emergency surgeries. However, when we got those two days in a row, it was wonderful. Some people may need to work the extra hours, and for them I feel bad, but I loved it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I am fine with their decision -  but I don't believe the reason they gave has a whole lot of truth in it.

It's just the spin they know will get them the most favorable publicity, true or not. There is a segment of the population that wants to believe their disapproval of holiday working is the cause of such decisions, so the mall can't lose with that claim.

Large retail chains just do not care deeply about their employees above all else, but they're very aware of the benefit to them to claim that that's true. Use whatever you've got.

Online shopping vs foot traffic in b&m stores has made it not cost effective to pay for OT/double time and security for many places.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all