Honored Contributor

Re: Mall of America to Close for Thanksgiving

@Laura14, as long as we all keep trying to work it out, that's what counts :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Laura14, as long as we all keep trying to work it out, that's what counts :-)

@Moonchilde  AMEN!  That's the right answer!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Stores are going to be open whether I like it or not.   It's not up to me to decide what other people should do.

Those who say they won't set foot in a store on Thanksgiving, will you be shopping online?  Same thing as far as I'm concerned.  The internet doesn't run by itself.  LOL

Anyway, I'm really only concerned with my family and how we decide to spend the holidays.  I count my blessings that we're able to be together on the same day for a nice dinner.  If one day that changes, we'll roll with it...

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

ITA. What I find somewhat amusing in these Holiday threads is how vehemently older posters, who will comment elsewhere in the forum that Gen Xers and Millennials are so me-me-me and entitled, are the ones who insist that as far as holiday issues go there is only one "right" way of looking at things - THEIRS. 

@Moonchilde

I didn't see any of that.  Maybe it was said when I was dealing with something else.  There are very few of us who stand up for Gen X and Y, I'm glad to say I am one and always have been.

I also don't insist there is only one right way for Thanksgiving, and you and I both are one of the older posters.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Stores are going to be open whether I like it or not.   It's not up to me to decide what other people should do.

Those who say they won't set foot in a store on Thanksgiving, will you be shopping online?  Same thing as far as I'm concerned.  The internet doesn't run by itself.  LOL

Anyway, I'm really only concerned with my family and how we decide to spend the holidays.  I count my blessings that we're able to be together on the same day for a nice dinner.  If one day that changes, we'll roll with it...

No Internet access on my phone or at home only at office.  So no shopping for me the whole week-end but I am dirt cheap. Especially not from t.v.  Seriously, if some want to work or shop any of that week-end I say go for it have fun.  My sister started at 4:00 a.m every year was done about noon on Friday, but she knew better than to ask me to join her.  Now that Monday once I am back in my office with the tech world that is another story. Woman Wink

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I think it's great that they're closing for Thanksgiving Day.

When I worked in a dept store (Dillard's) during high school and college, (late 1980s - early 1990s), the mall was always closed on Thanksgiving Day. 

I hope it starts a new trend.  We have so few holidays in this country that we can all celebrate together.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to be with family on holidays, even though there are only three of us, I'm glad the mall and some others are giving those who want to observe the holiday a chance to do so. 

I know a lot of people who have their holiday meal at church, and others who invite friends and those who will be alone, for a potluck.  For those who don't like the day, no one is forcing them to participate.

Valued Contributor

A LOT of retail employees DO NOT mind working on the holiday as their pay increases greatly and they need the money - especially in this bad economy.  I have several in my family that work this day - including myself - as a second job - so we will be celebrating the day before as we all have that day off from work.  No problem for me and for a lot of others who prepare ahead of time. 

Honored Contributor

I don't understand w/ millions of people working on Thanksgiving,

why is retail is excluded?  Or certain retail?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday at brick and mortar stores, so this doesn't affect me. I did it many years ago and I hated it. I can't stand being around that many people. Both of our malls are so busy those days they require the police to come out and direct traffic. I live not far from one of them and try to stay off the streets completely if I can but definitely not near any of that.

With my profession, none of those places are really open during the holidays any way but when I was still in school and building a clientele I worked PT as a server and bartender to make ends meet. I would always take any shift I could because the tips were great. I know many people who work retail like to pick up shifts also because they usually get time and a half or double time on holidays. I still got to spend part of the day with my family then went to work and usually made a least a couple hundred that I really needed. I didn't mind working holidays at all and as a matter of fact, I never worked at a place that didn't have people fighting over those shifts.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK