Honored Contributor

Mall of America to Close for Thanksgiving

The largest shopping mall in the U S has made the decision to close for the holiday. They want their workers to spend time with their families.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mall of America to Close for Thanksgiving

Good for them. Having to get up early the day after Thanksgiving kind of ruined the holiday for me. The only thing good about it was the store had to furnish lunch because we were to busy to take a full hour.

Honored Contributor

If folks in the Minneapolis region wish to shop that day there will be other retail establishments that will be available.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

If folks in the Minneapolis region wish to shop that day there will be other retail establishments that will be available.

That's good.  No doubt, some people would rather shop than "spend time with their families." 

Honored Contributor

I wish all stores would close that day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Does not matter to me. I'll be surrrrfin' the net for bargains that day!...lol!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Nothing wrong with that, except I would only be concerned that some of the small stores might have needed the income for that day.  If they had a vote and the majority voted for closing that would be ok, as I'm sure that if you choose to operate a store in a mall you probably already know that there is a majority rule type of thing.

The only other thing that struck me as odd (kinda creepy) was them dictating what they think those people should be doing on that day.   That's probably just me, and that's ok.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I hope other malls see this.

There's no reason to be open on Thanksgiving.

I saw the announcement and the Mall will allow stores be open on Thanksgiving if that's what they choose, and the Mall will  provide security.    We can watch their website to see who decides to close & who decides to open.

@JaneMarple wrote:

The largest shopping mall in the U S has made the decision to close for the holiday. They want their workers to spend time with their families.

Respected Contributor

Isn't that great? People who want to shop that day should remember the store workers who aren't getting a chance to relax and enjoy the day. Sadly, most stores will be open. Remember when holidays were holidays for nearly everyone?

Honored Contributor

"......after several disappointing Thanksgiving-Black Friday weekends, it could well be that beyond this feel-good reasoning, mall operators and stores have found that extended hours haven’t led to more sales, but only more expenses. Not to mention bad PR from millions of Americans offended by the encroachment of seasonal shopping on a major family-oriented holiday."

The reasoning might not be as admirable as it first appears.

It's all about the bottom line. Period.

The anchor stores are Macy's & Sears.

Gad, wonder if they'll still be in business by Thanksgiving!?