Respected Contributor

I don't believe it's gender specific. The only thing I notice is that when I go for a COSTCO run, my bill is around $200

When I have my husband along the bill is usually $400 +

I try to leave him at home when I can!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr "I think that men don't shop much, especially for groceries, so they don't play the game as well as women.  But it's always fun to go to the supermarket on Saturday and Sunday and see so many men.  Like fish out of water."

I can tell when men are new at shopping because they are constantly on the phone asking about products on the shelves.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I don't believe it's gender specific. The only thing I notice is that when I go for a COSTCO run, my bill is around $200

@Jacie 

I remember being in a Costco with my brother, and I was picking up a few items as was my brother. My SIL calls me and asks me where are we. I tell her Costco. She asks me what has my brother put in the cart, and I tell her. She immediately starts telling me to tell him to put things back, that they already have the items that he was purchasing, since she does a majority of the grocery shopping for their household she would know.

It was actually pretty comical. 

My brother calls Costco the $100.00 store. You cannot walk in and out without spending at least that amount. 

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@Jacie 

I remember being in a Costco with my brother, and I was picking up a few items as was my brother. My SIL calls me and asks me where are we. I tell her Costco. She asks me what has my brother put in the cart, and I tell her. She immediately starts telling me to tell him to put things back, that they already have the items that he was purchasing, since she does a majority of the grocery shopping for their household she would know.

It was actually pretty comical. 

My brother calls Costco the $100.00 store. You cannot walk in and out without spending at least that amount. 

We're thrilled if we get out under $200.  The days of the $100 store are long gone.

Honored Contributor

I've seen that with many women.  They stand there until everything has been rung up and THEN they root through their purses looking for their wallets, then they search for the right debut or credit card.  Its ridiculous.  I can recall seeing men do that.  I think it's just the way some people are.  

Trusted Contributor

I think men don't shop that much so aren't the experts at the process like most women are, but I was behind a woman last week at the grocery store and couldn't believe it after the cashier told her the amount, she pulled out a checkbook! Then she didn't have a pen, etc. I thought I would lose my mind. The person behind me did and left.

Valued Contributor

@catmama wrote:

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before and if so I apologize

I went to Costco this morning and before I got out of my car, I pulled my membership card out of my wallet.  Walked to the entrance and two men were pulling out carts and proceeding to the entrance.  The first one pulled out his wallet at the entrance, found his card and went in.  The man in front of me, got to the entrance, pulled out his wallet and had trouble finding his card.  I caught the eye of the employee, waved my card in the air and he nodded for me to enter.  Went around the man, walked a few steps and looked back and sure enough he was still looking for his card.  Bit of a crowd waited behind him.

But, I've noticed this so many times at store checkouts.  Men don't pull out their wallets to pay until the cashier has completely finished the checkout process.  I always have my card out and tap the screen the minute I get up to to the machine.   

I am curious, does anyone else notice this and does it frustrate you as much as it does me.  I know if's only a few minutes delay and probably not worth getting worked up over.  I know this doesn't apply to all men, but I bet it does to a large majority of them  

I've noticed that too and I think the same thing.  Men's brains work differently than women's and men cannot multi-task, or plan ahead in some cases, in the same way women do.  This may be a minor example but I think that might be the reason.  In this case, he didn't really need his card until he got to the door so no reason to look for it (i.e. plan ahead) until he got there.  Google "men and multi-tasking" and you'll find info that might better answer your question.  

Honored Contributor

In general, I think men can find things in their wallets faster than women can find things in their purses.

You don't see many people paying for things with a check these days, but that used to drive me crazy. I'd get my stuff on the checkout conveyor belt and the woman ahead of me would be putting her bags in her cart. The sale would be done, and the clerk would look to the woman for the money and the woman would start rummaging around in her purse for her checkbook. (I'd groan about then.) Eventually, out would come the checkbook and then the search for a pen would begin. This search would often end with the clerk offering her a pen. Then when the pen was found the question of "What's today's date?" would come up. Then she'd start to fill in the check. (You know where you're going shopping, you know when you're going shopping, the only real mystery is how much you'll spend so maybe fill in the rest beforehand? Nope.) And typically, at some point, she'd mess up and have to start all over again after tearing up the nearly completed check. Then of course, the clerk will need to see their driver's license so a fresh hunt in the purse begins. Ugh!

I'm pretty sure I've aged about fifty years behind women with checkbooks in checkout lines. It just drove me crazy. These days very few people pay with checks so it's not so bad, but it was horrible for a while. I would be screaming inside as it went on and on and on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I get annoyed when the person ahead of me has a ton of coupons. Often it's the wrong coupon, or it's expired and then the line is held up while the person questions why it can't be used. The cashier has to explain and then the person starts arguing. Or sometimes with food stamps, when certain items aren't covered, and the person is arguing. I happen to get in those kind of lines a lot. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain