Honored Contributor

@Carmie When I was recovering from knee replacement surgery, the motorized shopping carts were very helpful.  If you get there when the store first opens, the carts are more easily available and fully-charged.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Male shoppers

[ Edited ]

@catmama I   haven't noticed that . I have always seen that men are ready, mostly. I've noticed at Safeway that the people who wait until the last possible second to get ready to pay are women. Every single time. Age isn't a factor.

I watch this kind of thing and in all these years I haven't seen but one very elderly gentleman kind of fumble around and the nice cashier came around and helped him. 

But I honestly only see women do this. Maybe men do but I don't notice it. And when I go to Costco there is never anyone in line fumbling around for their card!

Honored Contributor

Really?  Men?  How about the women who won't pull out of a parking space until they have yakked on their phone to everyone they know, and dug around in their purse for keys.

We did a pickup yesterday and the woman in one of the pickup slots sat there for 5 minutes doing something after they had loaded her groceries and closed the hatch.  And people were lined up waiting.

I think rudeness comes in all genders, political affiliations, religious and any other stereotype you can think of.  No reason to expect  .  .  .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are men & women who don't think ahead but in my neck of the woods it's the women who are worse...digging at the bottom of the purse for the exact change, paying with a check & not even having the checkbook out, insisting coupons get used on the wrong products, always demanding to see the manager if they don't get their way while they tie up the checkout lane & I could go on & on...oh, what a pain in the neck.

Respected Contributor

Funny, you should write about this.  My story is a little bit off topic, but I was in Wal-Mart today, and you know how LARGE the shopping carts are at Wal-Mart.

So I proceeded down an aisle and at the end of the aisle was an older couple - man and woman - with their LARGE shopping cart left unattended right smack in the middle of the aisle.  They were pre-occupied comparing bags of nuts (no pun intended) and trying to decide which bag to buy.  Totally oblivious.

I stood there for awhile thinking one of them would see me with my LARGE cart just wanting to proceed and continue with my shopping, but they were too involved with comparing the the nut bags.  I waited, finally I said excuse me, will you let me thru? - but they didn't hear me.  I said excuse me, a little louder - still they were too fascinated with their nuts.

Finally, a store worker went up to them and began to move their cart from blocking the aisle and told them to let the shoppers go thru.  They then took control of their cart and said nothing and went back to the nut bags.  I thanked them as I walked thru, but I really wanted to tell them to not leave their LARGE cart in the very middle of the aisle so other shopper can, well, shop.  Jeeeeez.  I'm old too, but I am aware of others having space to do what they gotta do. 

So its not just men, couples can be time wasters as well.  I thank God I'm single most of the time.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Carmie When I was recovering from knee replacement surgery, the motorized shopping carts were very helpful.  If you get there when the store first opens, the carts are more easily available and fully-charged.  

They normally always have them available, but I have never used one.

i have a friend who I took shopping for years.  She is very handicapped and uses a walker or wheelchair. She can't walk very far by herself. She is in a nursing home now.

We went to Costco one time and I got her in a motorized cart and folded her walker and put it in my push cart.  As we were leaving Costco, we stopped to return her chair. I was getting her walker out of my cart for her to use and a man wanted her chair and was inpatient.  He grabbed her and was trying to drag her off. He wasn't trying to be helpful....he was mean and aggressive.

Well, I wasn't having it.  I grabbed onto him and spun him around and threatened to kick his behind if he didn't back up and wait.  He was shocked and said I was no lady...I told him he was correct. I was a super lady and he was no gentleman...among some other things I can't mention here.

He did back off and wait until I unfolded her walker and waited until she was able to safely get out of the chair and stand up with my help.  I was so angry that day...I honestly would have attacked him if he didn't take his hands off of her.  

Every time I go to Costco and see those motorized carts, this memory comes to mind.

Trusted Contributor

What drives me nuts are the "team shoppers" at the grocery store.  This is a married couple with the man newly retired and second guessing every item his wife puts into the cart.  Big discussions about brands and saving three cents on a can of beans.  From the wife's facial expression, she wants to throttle her husband right there in the middle of the aisle, lol, since she's been doing the grocery shopping for past 40 years just fine without his input.

Other times the husband just stands in the middle of the aisle, completely oblivious that he is blocking the aisle to other shoppers, while his wife selects the item from the shelf.  One time I saw the husband trailing behind his wife doing a crossword puzzle in one of those big crossword puzzle books.  Sheesh, why didn't he just wait in the car?!

Thank God my late husband never acted like these nimrods, lol.

Honored Contributor

@River Song   That would be my DH reversed. He wants so much junk food and he never checks prices.  If he wants it, he tosses it into the cart.

He tossed cream of mushroom soup into the cart.  I asked him if he likes it...he said no, he was getting it for me.  I do not want, like or have ever purchased cream of mushroom soup.

My husband wanted and got multipack of 6 of small bottles of Coke Zero for almost $8.

I prefer that he stays home.

Honored Contributor

@River Song ITA! My late DH and I enjoyed shopping together. If I was in a hurry I preferred to go alone. Sometimes he liked to go alone, but mostly we went together and didn't piddle around like you describe. I've seen couples do that and I just want to get in their face and say "Get on with it already"! 

The other day I was behind a couple checking out and they diddled around as to where to put a small object on the belt in the midst of all their stuff. I wanted to grab it and say "Just put it somewhere and move on"! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I don't think men think that far ahead.

@Meowingkitty  my husband was famous for doing this. I always reminded him to get out his Card long before we got to the entrance,  and for some reason it still didn't work.

And why do men always have a lot of stuff in their wallets? What's up with that? lol