Respected Contributor

Re: Malaysia Airlines plane missing

On 3/8/2014 Sushismom said:

While I don't automatically think "terrorism" when something like this happens, it is one possible cause. As is pilot error and mechanical failure. And while it's also quite rare for two stolen passports to be used on one flight, again, there are reasons other than terrorism as explanations. I'll just wait to make up my mind until information has been substantiated.

Planes do just disappear. The main one that comes to mind is the Air France one that happened several years ago. Turns out both mechanical failure and pilot error were to blame.

Yes, I remember...are you talking about the one from Rio to Paris?

I'm.waiting for more info too.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Probably not a bad idea to fly during daylight hours. Easier to see available landing spots, etc., just in case. Hopefully the plane landed somewhere and all are safe.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

n/m

Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2014 terrier3 said:

Isn't it difficult for a plane to suddenly go down at 30,000 feet?

Most crashes occur on takeoffs and landings.

Only time will tell what happened.

No it's not that 'difficult', the tragic Air India flight comes to mind. Once stability in the middle section of the aircraft is seriously challenged, it comes apart like a child's toy. Finding some wreckage, any wreckage can point to how that may have occurred.

Honored Contributor

I have a sinking feeling that the two stolen passports will figure into this story. This is so sad, two long oil slicks found but no wreckage seen. Where is that airplane?

One of the news stories mentioned a possibility that the pilot may have committed suicide but if so wouldn't the co-pilot take over the plane?

This is a real mystery. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of all on board.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

On 3/8/2014 Ford1224 said:

With absolutely no "May Day" contacts happening, it would seem the plane suddenly exploded. If it were in trouble, on the way down I would think there would have been some kind of distress communication. I have bad feelings about this "accident."

With all the fuel aboard, that would be made on heck of a fireball in the sky at night. One would think someone would of heard, or seen something. The wreckage would be spread over a large area, not something easily overlooked. So sad. A plane disappears, and NO information to the family and loved ones of those poor souls.

Super Contributor

eta: dup post; sorry

Super Contributor

Anika, there is no way of knowing what happened yet and your assumptions are completely unfounded.

Valued Contributor

On 3/8/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:
On 3/8/2014 TaxyLady said:

Does anyone know the time difference between EST and that of Malaysia?

They are 13 hours ahead of us. Right now it's 1 PM Saturday in NYC (ET) and it's 2 AM Sunday in Malaysia.

Thank you.

Super Contributor

On 3/8/2014 AnikaBrodie said:

I have a sinking feeling that the two stolen passports will figure into this story. This is so sad, two long oil slicks found but no wreckage seen. Where is that airplane?

One of the news stories mentioned a possibility that the pilot may have committed suicide but if so wouldn't the co-pilot take over the plane?

This is a real mystery. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of all on board.

I agree