Respected Contributor

Making "Offers" On Ebay

[ Edited ]

I just made an offer on an item on ebay as I have done many times before.

This is the first time on "Make An Offer" that you receive a message indicating if the seller accepts your offer, your form of payment on file will be charged immediately and the item is yours.

In the past, when an offer was made and the seller accepted, it went back to the buyer to complete the purchase.

I have no idea when this change went into effect but wanted to share.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

Re: Making "Offers" On Ebay

[ Edited ]

@Mersha 

🙊  Thanks for the info .... I wasn't aware of the change.

Esteemed Contributor

I did that several years ago and once the seller accepted the offer it went straight to my credit card. This was at least 10 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

eBay is making a change, slowly to require payment at the time of offer.

there is no other place that allows you to buy something and wait to pay or not even pay

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My accepted offers have always ended up in my cart showing payment is pending. Never has eBay automatically charged my cc. I have to be the one to initiate that transaction, not eBay.

Trusted Contributor

@Mersha 

I think this just became effective recently, same thing happened to me this week and the kicker is my first offer was declined so I tried making another offer going within their price ranges posted and they still declined!  So why ask to make an offer if the seller is going to decline?!

Honored Contributor

@Mersha. It's been the way you describe for a long time because that's how it's  worked for me.  If you make an offer, you'd better be serious as you may own it lickedly split.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It is strange that some had this system for awhile and for me, my first time.

I can't remember the last time I "made an offer" but I think it was this year and it was the same as always, in my cart and I had to pay.

It will be interesting to what happens the next time I do offer.  I will be sure it is something I really want and am ready to pay the amount offered.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha  - That happened to me 2 months ago and yes, it's new.  I've never had that happen before on an offer.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found this on Ebay's "Making a Best Offer" found in the CS section:

"What happens after you make your offer

The seller has until your offer expires to decide whether to accept or reject your offer. They can also suggest another price. If they don’t respond to you in that time, or if the listing ends before they respond, then your offer expires.

If the seller responds, they may:

• Accept your offer: Just like any other sale on eBay, you’re obliged to pay the amount you offered. Immediate payment is not required when the Best Offer option is used in a listing, unless you were asked to confirm your payment method when placing your offer."

Read the last sentence.