Honored Contributor

Re: Making old & new faded blue jeans darker

I'm sure there's more-succinct versions online, @gidgetgh, but this was on Rit's website.

Go take a nap.  ;-)

Honored Contributor

I cannot be the only one rolling on the couch laughing.  Oh goodness, what a complicate, messy silly thing.  And those directions....really????   But even if you did it, the stitching on your jeans would also get dyed.  Your jeans wouldn't have that jeans look.   Am I the only one who doesn't have any jeans tongs...lol    It's so much easier just to buy the right color from the get go.  I'm a pear shape....I wear light wash jeans all the time in the summer.  I prefer light jeans in the summer.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

I'm sure there's more-succinct versions online, @gidgetgh, but this was on Rit's website.

Go take a nap.  ;-)

Ritt....now it makes sense.  Obviously the work group that put that thing together, never actually dyed any jeans....lol  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I guess it would be inevitable that the contrast stitching would be dyed. In my world, that would not be a big issue. I guess it would make them look more like trouser jeans than regular jeans.

However, if you do dye your jeans, be sure to use a "Color Grabber" sheet when you wash them...if you put them in the washer with other items. I love those Color Grabber sheets. I'm always amazed at how much color they grab.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

The thread is usually polyester and does not absorb color as much as the cotton does.  I don't think you can dye polyester.

Valued Contributor

Lol! This IS a lot of work for the result but thanks for sharing the tips @feline groovy!

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Buy a cheap pair of dark blue jeans and wash them together!  The new ones will fade onto the old ones.

I've never had any luck doing that.  I couldn't see a bit of difference.