Trusted Contributor

Re: Making A Donation as A Gift--The Holidays are Here!

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

At the heart of the holiday season is giving to those in need.

At least, that's what I've always been taught.

I would not mind one bit getting a gift of a donation made in my name to a charity I support.  I would be very pleased!

^ This! ❤️

As much as I would love to, being on a fixed income.. I can’t always manage to give as much as I'd like to those charities I support. There has been so many natural disasters lately. I've downsized my retirement lifestyle and don’t really need anything much, so I have requested donations to my favorite charities from some. Others just so enjoy gift-giving and I wouldn’t deprive them of that pleasure. 

I would never choose to make a donation in someone else's name without their request. A greeting card, with a gift card would be less presumptuous and pretentious, imo. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think I would do that for anyone living unless  by request but I do that every year for all my loved ones who have departed. I miss them still and am giving them a Christmas present by donating what I would have spent on them to a charity. 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

At the heart of the holiday season is giving to those in need.

At least, that's what I've always been taught.

I would not mind one bit getting a gift of a donation made in my name to a charity I support.  I would be very pleased!

I agree as long as that's the case.  Usually people give these donation gifts to a charity THEY support.  That's what I take issue with.  To them I say, just make the donation and leave me out of it.  I don't want a gift; there's not a thing in this world I need that I don't already have.

@faeriemoon

I didn't know that this is what most people do.  I don't.

That's not what I was suggesting someone do. 

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot I know you weren't.

Honored Contributor

For many years close friends and family have made donations to either the Morris Foundation, or ASPCA in my / our name.

This is wonderful for us, happy and appreciative.

However, this is per our request.  I would be shocked, and in some cases upset, if someone made a donation to a entity of THEIR choice in my name.  WOW.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

I don't think I would do that for anyone living unless  by request but I do that every year for all my loved ones who have departed. I miss them still and am giving them a Christmas present by donating what I would have spent on them to a charity. 

@candys mine  What a wonderful thing to do!  That is a lovely idea!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

I don’t look at the situation in the way you described at all.    

I have 3 close friends I honor thru donations, and they have always been touched by the gesture.    My childhood friend lives far away from WV.   I don’t travel, and have never visited her; she visits this area every 2-3 years.   She rescues feral cats in her hometown, so I donate to our local shelters spay and neuter program in her name.   She loves that.

Friend #2 is local; I see her 2-3x a year, although we text or talk more often.   Her husband had a horrible work accident years ago that disabled him.   He received numerous blood donations that helped save his life.   I donated blood products and money to the Red Cross in his honor, which makes her happy.   

Friend #3 is also local.  She is several years older than me, and lost several unborn grandchildren due to genetic abnormalities.   I have made donations in memory of those babies, which makes her happy, since she still mentions them often.    

My husband and I don’t do tax deductions on our income.   

I think all of those are lovely, heartfelt, and wonderful.  But they are special to the people involved, and IMO that's all the difference.  It's not surprising at all that your friends are appreciative.

A very close friend of mine gave me a gift one year that was a donation to a cause that was completely random - not important to her, and not important in any way to me.  I'm a big believer in "it's the thought that counts", and I never mind when I receive a gift that I don't particularly like.  But I honestly was hurt and disappointed.  It was kind of a gimmicky thing, not even the kind of charity that most people would think of - ill children, animals, veterans, the homeless, medical research, things of that sort.  It seemed really impersonal and not really like a gift at all.  I knew that she meant well and it had been well-intentioned, but I never forgot how it made me feel.  

On the other hand, a young family member passed away a number of years ago, and we set up a medical research fund in his memory.  Many people contributed to it at the time of his death, and occasionally we're still notified of contributions.  I would always be touched by anyone "gifting" me with a donation to that fund.  Each and every contribution is very special to our family.

I think the problem is with random donations, which IMO often look self-serving, and almost always seem to be an easy way out.  If someone feels inclined to get a gift for me and can't think of anything, I'd honestly prefer they just send a holiday card with warm wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

I disagree.  I have a very good friend who is quite well to do and a philanthropist.  Through the years it has become harder and harder to buy for him.  I do buy some smaller thoughtful gifts but give donations, to charities close to his heart and he is always moved and appreciates the thought behind the gift.  He sits on the Board of multiple charitable organizations and tho I might not ordinarily give to these organizations, their purpose is not against my core set of values.  

Regular Contributor

If you are close enough to know someone's passions,absolutely, a donation is a wonderful thing.It is saying I honor your life,respect you.Nothing uppity or pretentious. Giving to Your charity in their name,not so much.A gift to st judes or to shriners children's hospital,to me is a universal good thing ,a no brainer,in someone's name. They do wonderful work who wouldn't want to be part of that?

Just my 2 cents! MaryAnne

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a friend for whom we do this at Christmas (it's actually from my kids -- technically we don't exchange gifts anymore). She really needs nothing at this stage of life (75 yo) and would rather not have clutter (frankly, she frequently passes along gifts from others that she can't/won't use), so we give some homemade candy that she loves and another very small gift like socks or something, along with a contribution to a charity that has some connection to her life or background. I've given to international relief charities (she loves international travel and was a social worker for many years), a domestic political action group which I know she supports, etc. I always include a card telling her why we've chosen the charity we did (we actually put quite a lot of thought into it), how it reminds us of her, etc. I don't see anything wrong with it, and she has been extremely touched by the gesture (and has told me how much she likes it).