Honored Contributor

Re: Making A Donation as A Gift--The Holidays are Here!

[ Edited ]

Not only is it a non gift, the "honored" person will be inundated with mailings from the charity forever.

Actually, donating to a charity in the name of someone you know would not want associated with it has been done for years to get a bit of revenge.

Respected Contributor

I don't like it either.  If you want to make a donation as a gift, do it for you and your family.  Pretentious at best!!

Honored Contributor

Please don't donate anything in my name.  It would be much more appreciated if I got a card saying happy whatever or in so and so's memory if you chose not to buy a tangible gift.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I disagree that it says "you don't deserve a gift"  

I have never made a donation to a charity in someone's name in lieu of a gift.  It just seems pretentious to me.  

@Bri369  Pretentious!  Exactly how I feel about it. It has always struck me as sort of a put down on some level to the giftee--and that word goes along with that doesn't it? 

Of course there are exceptions when someone has a charity they love and would be thrilled to support or has expressed a wish, but just out of the blue as "here's your gift" . . . no. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t look at the situation in the way you described at all.    

I have 3 close friends I honor thru donations, and they have always been touched by the gesture.    My childhood friend lives far away from WV.   I don’t travel, and have never visited her; she visits this area every 2-3 years.   She rescues feral cats in her hometown, so I donate to our local shelters spay and neuter program in her name.   She loves that.

Friend #2 is local; I see her 2-3x a year, although we text or talk more often.   Her husband had a horrible work accident years ago that disabled him.   He received numerous blood donations that helped save his life.   I donated blood products and money to the Red Cross in his honor, which makes her happy.   

Friend #3 is also local.  She is several years older than me, and lost several unborn grandchildren due to genetic abnormalities.   I have made donations in memory of those babies, which makes her happy, since she still mentions them often.    

My husband and I don’t do tax deductions on our income.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I don’t look at the situation in the way you described at all.    

I have 3 close friends I honor thru donations, and they have always been touched by the gesture.    My childhood friend lives far away from WV.   I don’t travel, and have never visited her; she visits this area every 2-3 years.   She rescues feral cats in her hometown, so I donate to our local shelters spay and neuter program in her name.   She loves that.

Friend #2 is local; I see her 2-3x a year, although we text or talk more often.   Her husband had a horrible work accident years ago that disabled him.   He received numerous blood donations that helped save his life.   I donated blood products and money to the Red Cross in his honor, which makes her happy.   

Friend #3 is also local.  She is several years older than me, and lost several unborn grandchildren due to genetic abnormalities.   I have made donations in memory of those babies, which makes her happy, since she still mentions them often.    

My husband and I don’t do tax deductions on our income.   

@RedTop

I think your gifts are extremely thoughtful!

And I think that's what the season is all about.

Honored Contributor

When a friend loses a pet, we make a donation to their local animal shelter in honor of him. It's not a gift, just a way to acknowledge their lose and let them know that we care.

Honored Contributor

At the heart of the holiday season is giving to those in need.

At least, that's what I've always been taught.

I would not mind one bit getting a gift of a donation made in my name to a charity I support.  I would be very pleased!

Honored Contributor

I totally agree, a gift to a charity only works as a gift if the recipient has specifically requested it.  Otherwise it says  "I didn't want to give you anything so I just gave some money to charity....which I was going to do anyway so I saved on the deal!"  I don't believe that "she has everhthing" or "he's richer that rich" excuse either.  Some people are hard to shop for but that just means you have to put some thought and time into it; no one has everything and everyone appreciates a gift.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

At the heart of the holiday season is giving to those in need.

At least, that's what I've always been taught.

I would not mind one bit getting a gift of a donation made in my name to a charity I support.  I would be very pleased!

I agree as long as that's the case.  Usually people give these donation gifts to a charity THEY support.  That's what I take issue with.  To them I say, just make the donation and leave me out of it.  I don't want a gift; there's not a thing in this world I need that I don't already have.