Esteemed Contributor

Re: Making A Donation as A Gift--The Holidays are Here!

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

At the heart of the holiday season is giving to those in need.

At least, that's what I've always been taught.

I would not mind one bit getting a gift of a donation made in my name to a charity I support.  I would be very pleased!

I agree as long as that's the case.  Usually people give these donation gifts to a charity THEY support.  That's what I take issue with.  To them I say, just make the donation and leave me out of it.  I don't want a gift; there's not a thing in this world I need that I don't already have.

@faeriemoon

I didn't know that this is what most people do.  I don't.

That's not what I was suggesting someone do. 

I don't think that's what most people do.  Some do, for sure, but in my experience people either know what causes are important to the recipient or they ask.  A donation to a random charity as a "gift" to me has happened only once in my entire life, and I rarely hear about it happening to friends or family.  

There will always be those who take the easy way out, but in my experience people are generally more thoughtful than that.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain  I never knew that. Now I understand why some Ne'er do well made a donation to a charity I did not support  in lieu of a gift in my name. Thanks.  PS She was a #$%&^

Esteemed Contributor

I've never understood the concept of making a donation to a charity as a gift for someone else.....the only time I make a donation is in memory of a relative or dear friend who has died and that's what has been asked for in lieu of flowers by the family. If gift giving is down to the point that you have to make a donation, then perhaps exchanging gifts should be discontinued, and each person should instead spend their money to support their own charity if that's what they choose to do.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine wrote:

I don't think I would do that for anyone living unless  by request but I do that every year for all my loved ones who have departed. I miss them still and am giving them a Christmas present by donating what I would have spent on them to a charity. 

@candys mine 

I just mailed checks this morning with donations. On the memo line I wrote: In memory of ______________________ .  

Mailed them to my favorite places that I donate to each holiday season. The amount was significant to each place. Makes me feel close to those no longer with me. 

Giving is something most of us are able to do throughout the year if we tighten our belts and think of others. It doesn't have to be only during the holiday season IMO.

ETA: On a Facebook page each year I place a donation gift wish on my birthday to one of my medical research foundations. It's tax deductible for each donor. Friends and family usually exceed the goal and, hopefully, one day there will be some kind of a cure for one of my health issues. Perhaps not a cure in my lifetime, but I'm anxious for research to continue working on helping patients find a better way of living with their health issues. 

#2 ETA:  I always write a check as a memorial when a friend or a family of a friend passes away. Never send flowers or food. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I agree. I've donated  before as the person requested  and then I got on that charity's mailing list and they continue to send me things (mainly more requests for money)