Esteemed Contributor

Re: Make your own hand sanitizer

@faeriemoon 

Sadly, that is the case in my area.

Dropped in to Walmart for some cat food this morning and the paper products shelves were bare.  Same with things like Lysol, hand soap and hand sanitizer.

I really only wanted a small container to give to my husband as it is difficult for him to hand wash where he is currently working.

Nothing to be found. 

Hoping in a week or so things will calm down.  

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  At the time I posted that (last week?) I couldn't even find 99% alcohol to make my own sanitizer, so I got the last bottle of 70% alcohol and made it.  The Purell bottles I do have say they use 70% so I figured it would still be a good option.  

However, yesterday I couldn't find alchohol of any kind at the store. Fortunately, I still have about half a bottle. (And a bunch of bottles that have been around for years.  Not going to ditch them yet though.)

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon 

I've never even used hand sanitizer, but am home all day and wash often.

My husband said he was in Home Depot in Virginia and no paper products, cleaning products, soap, etc.

Forget about finding alcohol anywhere in the store. I never even thought about that, but I'm just taking a deep breath about all of it and will continue to wash my hands often.

Fortunetly my husband is not around people during the day, so he's not really worried. 

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  I don't really use it either because I'm home and wash my hands about a thousand times a day.  I did place the bottle I made in the laundry room -- which you must pass through when you use the side entrance -- for anyone to use if they came from somewhere "people infested."  I have a small bottle in my car and a small bottle in the hub's car.  That's it.

Although I don't use it that often I feel it's good to have it around.  I don't know what all the hoarders are doing with it; how much of it do you need???

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I'm wondering, right now, if there is anything such as antibacterial bar soap (?)

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but weren't there several brands years ago?  

Do I recall a gold colored antibacterial bar soap?  

Was it Dial?  ........... 'I don't know'............

Dial.  I had to bathe in it prior to a surgery.  I think there are a lot of soaps that are antibacterial, but was told to use this one @ROMARY .

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Preds 

@ROMARY 

Seems I was told to use Cetaphil liquid antibacterial soap before my last surgery.  I still have some, I believe.

But, for my husband, having something no rinse in his truck to use when he's on the job would best.

He should have BEEN using it for all these years.  I suggested it once and he looked at me like I was crazy.

Now, he sheepishly asked if I saw any, please get it Cat LOL

I'm sure it will be back in the stores some time.

There was another product in the past that was sold out after some event (I forget all the particulars), and, pretty soon, the stores were flooded with it.

Wish I could remember now, but I cannot.  My point being, the makers of it will likely up production and there will be a glut.  But, right now, people are just crazy and buying anything anti-bacteria.Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Rubbing alcohol is no more available than hand sanitizer. Also I have seen no aloe vera gel; I usually see it when they start putting out sunscreen, etc.
Honored Contributor

Your hands are not clean when you dispense the soap via the pump; they are clean afterwards.
Honored Contributor

I just made my own hand stuff--had the alcohol already just needed the aloe vera--used a few drops of tea tree oil in it too. 

Esteemed Contributor

No alcohol or aloe vera to be had here in Seattle.