Honored Contributor

Re: Make your own hand sanitizer

I don’t like hand sanitizer gels...too drying...I can almost feel my skin shrinking after using it. We had dispensers of it outside our cafeteria where I taught jr high. They had to take down the dispensers since the kids were pushing the dispenser, getting a puddle of it on their hands, then ingesting it. Knuckleheads!
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If you are able to find alcohol.

I'd be willing to bet that was sold out with Lysol, bleach, wipes, etc... 

we have enough Scotch to do the job 

LOL!  I did say to my husband that the 15 bottles of Absolut Vodka he was gifted with through the years may come in handy after all!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If you are able to find alcohol.

I'd be willing to bet that was sold out with Lysol, bleach, wipes, etc... 

we have enough Scotch to do the job 

LOL!  I did say to my husband that the 15 bottles of Absolut Vodka he was gifted with through the years may come in handy after all!

same here, gallons of it 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer....LOL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

Coming from someone who has a housekeeper to clean her  2 bedroom condo, sends out her laundry, and orders meals I'm sure making hand sanitizer is not on her radar.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer....LOL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

Coming from someone who has a housekeeper to clean her  2 bedroom condo, sends out her laundry, and orders meals I'm sure making hand sanitizer is not on her radar.

@RetRN ,

Many want or need similar help with ADLs.

I guess I'm just missing something, because I don't get your reply to a lighthearted post. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe cheap vodka or gin?

I don't know the alcohol content, but better than nothing, 'in a pinch'.

Wondering about white vinegar, too.  'In a pinch'.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I will stick to soap and water and a good scrubbing.
Honored Contributor

I noticed in another conornavirus thread this evening several have mentioned not being able to find any hand sanitizer.  I thought I would give this a bump.

I went shopping today and though my local CVS was out of hand sanitizer, they did have rubbing alcohol.  Amazon has aloe vera gel.

Honored Contributor

I don’t use hand sanitizer let alone make it.

Honored Contributor

Why wash off the pump part? You wash hands after pumping so any germs on the pump will be washed off when you wash.