Trusted Contributor

Re: Make your own hand sanitizer

@faeriemoon wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer....LOL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

People are in a frenzy buying things up so that the average person who goes into the store for one bottle of hand sanitizer can't even get one.

@faeriemoon  You are spot on for a colleague of mine.  She takes care of her mother who is undergoing chemo.  My colleague regularly uses hand sanitizer around her mother and couldn't find any this weekend in our town.  I somehow had two jumbo bottles so I brought them to work for her.  I remember what it's like to care for a beloved undergoing chemo....I wanted to wrap my beloved maman in a bubble so no germs could get to her.  Ignorant I know, but everything was new and my heart hadn't caught up to my brain.  Smiles. 

Honored Contributor

If you are able to find alcohol.

I'd be willing to bet that was sold out with Lysol, bleach, wipes, etc... 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer...LOLL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

@chrystaltree It seems easy enough with only two ingredients.

=====

Keep in mind @haddon9 that this is a poster who won't even wash her own clothing. She often mentions that it gets sent to a laundry. Your two ingredient recipe is simple and practical. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer...LOLL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

=====

Keep in mind @haddon9 that this is a poster who won't even wash her own clothing. She often mentions that it gets sent to a laundry. Your two ingredient recipe is simple and practical. 

@AuntG  My niece sends out her laundry also. It’s not unusual.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

If you find it increasingly difficult to find hand sanitizer available I found an easy to make recipe online...

Combine in a bowl:
⅔-cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
⅓-cup aloe vera gel.
Stir. Decant into a clean soap or pump bottle.

My sister just told me about this yesterday.  I orered a bottle of aloe vera gel, and will be making up a batch.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Just hit me in the head with a brick and bury me if I ever get to the point where I have to make my own hand sanitizer....LOL    What's next?  Home made toilet paper?

I've often made my own laundry detergent, too.  It's easy, VERY inexpensive, and works great.

Wouldn't want to do homemade tp though!!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

=====

When we lived in an apartment I used to send our laundry out to be done rather than have to sit for hours in a laundramat.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If you are able to find alcohol.

I'd be willing to bet that was sold out with Lysol, bleach, wipes, etc... 

we have enough Scotch to do the job 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

=====

When we lived in an apartment I used to send our laundry out to be done rather than have to sit for hours in a laundramat.

Back in the olden times when I lived in an apartment, I sent out the laundry sometimes. When it was my bf's turn to do it, I sent him down into the basement laundry with it. Woman Tongue

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

A dr from the CDC said this morning that plain soap and scrubbing is the pest preventative measure you can do. He also said liquid soap is best and be sure to wipe down or wash off the top of the bottle dispenser where you touch the pump. Bar soap is okay but not has germ-free since many hands may use it.
When I was a kid, my mother was ahead of her time; she took slivers of soap bars and put them in a bottle with water...the original liquid handsoap. Waste not, want not.