Esteemed Contributor

Re: Make Sure Your Car Doors are Locked When Inside the Car!

My car doors are always locked.  I programmed them to manually lock and not wait until the car starts.  That way I have control.   I get in and boom, the doors are locked by me.

When I get gas, I only open my driver's door.

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe yes I'm sure there is. I just purchased this SUV last year and have yet to look into this. I just make sure if I turn the ignition off but do not leave the car to just manually lock the doors back.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella From the time I learned to drive I was told to always keep my car doors locked and always have. So did my late DH, my son and his wife.

How many times have we seen news stories of people getting carjacked because some bad guy comes up and opens an unlocked car door?

Honored Contributor

My dad did that once.  He was nearly 90 and legally blind.  He came out of a restaurant ahead of mom and me headed for my car.  Opened the back door of a car and got in.  There was a very surprised woman sitting in the front passenger seat.  He apologized profusely as he got out.  She learned a lesson too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thank You very much @ciao_bella for the post!   We are going to check our car doors to make sure they are locking when we think they are.  Your experience with a failed sensor is a warning that things may not be secure even when we think we are locking the doors.   I am careful to  press the lock button as soon as I get in my car and as soon as I leave the car,  but is it really working?  I will find out for sure.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Boy, how times have changed.

Back in the 1950s it was common for people to not only leave their cars unlocked while sitting in the driveway ... but to also leave THE KEYS in the ignition.

Differrent world.

Respected Contributor

Good to know and great advice!  I'm pretty sure my car doors automatically lock when in "drive", but if I was parked and waiting for someone to get in, I would no doubt unlock the doors for their convenience.  From now on I will wait until the person I'm picking up is actually at the car door. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Boy, how times have changed.

Back in the 1950s it was common for people to not only leave their cars unlocked while sitting in the driveway ... but to also leave THE KEYS in the ignition.

Differrent world.

@Tinkrbl44  My parents always left the keys in the unlocked car in the fifties. One night it was stolen. Yes, in the fifties and we did not live in any crime area. It was a small town.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I grew up in the 50's and neither my parents or anyone we knew ever left keys in the car. I recall being at a friend's house and the dad asking the mom where he put the car keys LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella 

I have occasionally waited in our vehicle while my wife runs into Target. Always have doors locked, and my peace maker in my right hand. If someone tried to open a door? Might be a BIG problem for 1 of us. 

Door unlocked, in this now crazy world?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)