Honored Contributor

Re: Make Sure Your Car Doors are Locked When Inside the Car!

Glad it wasn't a bad experience for you! I must say though that I always lock my doors after getting in, well if I am driving they automatically lock, but if sitting I always keep them locked.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella your advice is timely.  I needed this reminder.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lock my car doors as soon as I get in - or out.  Not in my garage though.

Glad this turned out ok for you - had to be scary.  

We definitely cannot relax!  Have to be on guard all the time.  Proactive.  My husband used to say I was paranoid - I call it careful.  

The latest thing in Pittsburgh - besides all the shootings - is carjackings.  Can't be too careful.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella I'm so glad it was just a mistake on his part! But at least it let you know there was a problem with your locks before something worse happened.

Honored Contributor

I am happy how this story ended...the young man being an employee with a delivery.

Recently bought a new car....all the doors lock automatically after getting in the car...lots of safety features that are appreciated.  We are vigilant especially considering the current crime rate.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 Did you read the entire post? The OP made it very clear that it was a mistake on the young man's part, but it did alert her to a problem with her locks. If she hadn't discovered that, the next time might have been very different!

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella   Thanks for a reminder.  

Many years ago I opened a car door, same make and model and color as mine in a shopping center parking lot.  Knew immediately that it was not my car.  Beer cans and a box of diapers on the floor.  Freaked me out.  My key opened the door (years before key fobs!). My car was 3 cars further down in that same row.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella this same scenario happened to me. After parking my car one morning to get on the train for work for some strange reason I sat sitting in my car reading emails. I have a SUV and when I turn my off my ignition my doors automatically unlock (they automatically lock when I accelerate past 10 mph and unlock when I turn off the ignition). Imagine my surprise when my back passenger door suddenly opened and a man was getting into my car. My heart was beating so fast, it was as if things were in slow motion. I managed to say "hey, what are you doing". He had clothes on a hanger and was attempting to put them on the hook. He thought it was his car, which was parked in front of mine (our cars did not look alike). He realized he had scared me and was very apologetic. I am licensed to carry in my state. This situation could have gone really bad, really fast. Now whenever I turn off my ignition, if I am not getting right out of the car, I manually lock my doors.

Respected Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@ciao_bella this same scenario happened to me. After parking my car one morning to get on the train for work for some strange reason I sat sitting in my car reading emails. I have a SUV and when I turn my off my ignition my doors automatically unlock (they automatically lock when I accelerate past 10 mph and unlock when I turn off the ignition). Imagine my surprise when my back passenger door suddenly opened and a man was getting into my car. My heart was beating so fast, it was as if things were in slow motion. I managed to say "hey, what are you doing". He had clothes on a hanger and was attempting to put them on the hook. He thought it was his car, which was parked in front of mine (our cars did not look alike). He realized he had scared me and was very apologetic. I am licensed to carry in my state. This situation could have gone really bad, really fast. Now whenever I turn off my ignition, if I am not getting right out of the car, I manually lock my doors.

There's likely a way to change that setting.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I hope there is a way to change the setting where your doors all unlock upon turning the car off.  I would hate that!

My car is 25 years old, so I imagine it's not at all like others these days.  But, when I take off and get to 15mph the doors all lock.  (Well, TBH, I usually have already done that manually)  

When I turn off the car, the doors are all still locked and I think that's the way it should be, for safety sake.  I can open my driver door and it unlocks itself to open.  But all the rest of the doors stay locked until I push the button.