Trusted Contributor

Re: Make Sure Your Car Doors are Locked When Inside the Car!

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

I've accidentally tried to get into the wrong rental car before. It happens. No biggie.

----------------------------------------------

You wouldn't be just a bit startled if a stranger tried to get into your vehicle when you weren't paying attention?

I don't buy it.

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

I keep doors locked while parked in garage too. Thieves are counting on people not locking their doors.

@SnooppIf they break into your garage a locked vehicle is not going to stop them.

Do you think it might stop them?  I do.  I’ve seen numerous attempts by thieves to get into locked cars.  They move onto the next vehicle and don’t stick around.  Don’t make it easy for them.  This also buys you time to call police if you are aware of them breaking in through the garage door.  

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

I keep doors locked while parked in garage too. Thieves are counting on people not locking their doors.

@SnooppIf they break into your garage a locked vehicle is not going to stop them.

Do you think it might stop them?  I do.  I’ve seen numerous attempts by thieves to get into locked cars.  They move onto the next vehicle and don’t stick around.  Don’t make it easy for them.  This also buys you time to call police if you are aware of them breaking in through the garage door.  

@Snoopp  That is true however the ones that will break into a locked garage are more bold than those going from driveway to driveway looking for an easy target.They will take a rock or something and break the window or enter the house. I do always lock my doors and my garage is covered by my alarm system. If they come into my house then they will not be walking out if I am there.

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@Snoopp  That is true however the ones that will break into a locked garage are more bold than those going from driveway to driveway looking for an easy target.They will take a rock or something and break the window or enter the house. I do always lock my doors and my garage is covered by my alarm system. If they come into my house then they will not be walking out if I am there.

Agree.  I haven't yet gone as far as concealed carry (although it may soon come to that), but if someone breaks into my house, I will not hesitate to defend myself.

Contributor

No, this is certainly NOT the time to be careless in the car or walking in a mall lot or anything else.  These are very desperate times for many, many people.  Things that perhaps used to feel innocent do end up tragically.

Consider the two young women in what seemed to be safe and free from harm in Indiana not too long ago.  They seemed to disappear into thin air and the case has just recently been resolved.

We have to be aware of every small thing thses days.  I relocated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula about 1.5 years ago.  I grew up in Illinois on the chic-chic North Shore and always felt very secure day and night in much more populated areas.  "Things"may happen often in and around Chicago but rarely in the 'burbs.  However, I feel more insecure where I am living now because everything and everyone is new and very different.

I am also very aware of how many people "conceal and carry" up here and that leaves me very unsettled.  I never go out after dark alone to shop or anything else.  Maybe I am just suffering being jumpy to the extreme.  But better be safe than sorry.  (And one of my dogs is over 176 lbs!!!  But a big silly lovable baby--police told me that no one was going to mess with me.). Everyone, be alert and watch out around always Heart

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Carjackings are happening everyday. 

Peoria Journal Star

Oct. 27, 2022

PEORIA, IL − Five of six teens accused of carjacking a woman Monday at a parking deck at UnityPoint-Health Methodist Hospital have been arrested, Peoria police said.

Three were arrested after police saw the vehicle Monday night and two more were arrested Wednesday after police staked out a house. All were taken to the county's Juvenile Detention Center. One person remains at large.

Officers were called to the hospital's parking deck, located at 221 NE Glen Oak Ave., around 9:34 p.m. on a report of a woman who had been assaulted. When police arrived, the woman told them she had been getting items from her car when a group of teens approached her and asked if she needed help.

When she said no, she was knocked to the ground and struck several times about the head and on her body, causing cuts to her hands and face. The teens took her purse, keys and car and fled the area.

Just after 10 p.m., while on patrol, an officer saw the hijacked vehicle in the 2200 block of North Knoxville Avenue. The vehicle began driving erratically, passing cars in oncoming lanes of traffic, according to Peoria police spokeswoman Amy Dotson.

A sergeant attempted to stop the car but it did not stop, and a pursuit began. It ended in the 2900 block of St. Philomena when the driver bailed out of the car, which kept rolling and struck a light pole, police said. The other five in the car fled on foot.

Three were arrested shortly afterward and a handgun was recovered at the scene. Two boys, both 15, were booked on charges of possession of a stolen motor vehicle and obstructing police. A 17-year-old girl was booked on charges of aggravated vehicular hijacking and obstructing police.

On Wednesday, police went to a house in Peoria that was associated with the teens. They arrested two girls, ages 17 and 15, for aggravated vehicular hijacking. The 17-year-old also faced the charge of motor vehicle theft conspiracy.

Respected Contributor

Oct. 26, 2022

VIDEO Online: Woman fights back as she’s pulled from vehicle in carjacking on New Orleans’ West Bank

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - New Orleans police are searching for a man caught on video stealing a woman’s car in the Behrman neighborhood of the West Bank.

Police say a 36-year-old woman was pulled from her vehicle, punched, and carjacked at gunpoint in the 3400 block of Vespasian Boulevard just before 9 a.m. on Tues., Oct. 25.

In the video, the woman is seen walking out of a building, locking a gate, and getting into her Honda CRV. As she begins backing up, a man sneaks out from behind a bush and approaches the driver’s side door.

The man opens the door and appears to punch the woman before yanking her from the vehicle. Police say the suspect produced a handgun during the altercation.  The woman fights back briefly, but the man speeds off in her vehicle. 

Police say the vehicle was found with a flat tire about four hours later and taken to a tow yard.

Neighbors say they constantly hear gunfire in the area.

“All the time,” they say. “It’s very scary.”

While homicide and shooting incidents are up city-wide, armed robberies continue to show the most rapid increase among all violent crimes.

According to the Metropolitan Crime Commission, there have been 240 carjackings in New Orleans so far this year, a 14% increase.

Woman punched, pulled from car in New Orleans carjacking | wwltv.com

Occasional Contributor

Relax? Relax could turn into the worst nightmare. I'm glad she posted about her incident. 

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella 

Thanks for posting this and I am glad that this turned out to be nothing more than a mistake.  But as you have said, it could easily have not been.  This just serves as another needed reminder that we all need to be more careful and more mindful.  We think we are being careful, but honestly, we are all so busy and thinking about so many things and its easy to get distracted for a minute and that's all it takes!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin