Esteemed Contributor

Re: Make Sure Your Car Doors are Locked When Inside the Car!

I keep doors locked while parked in garage too. Thieves are counting on people not locking their doors.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Boy, how times have changed.

Back in the 1950s it was common for people to not only leave their cars unlocked while sitting in the driveway ... but to also leave THE KEYS in the ignition.

Differrent world.

That was then ~ this is now!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Glad it didn't end up being a break in, but I can totally imagine the shock you initially felt!

I've always been an advocate for keeping all vehicle doors locked.   I recall an incident where a co-worker (this was decades ago) was stopped at a red light and somebody tried to get into her car.

@chickenbutt, This happened to me too. I was 16. My dad always told me to keep the doors locked. I stopped at a stop sign and a guy ran toward me, started pulling on the passenger side door and I took off as fast as I could go.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella @gosh! I'm glad you are ok and it all worked out ok. I'm gonna check my locks tomorrow just to make sure everything is in working order! Thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I keep doors locked while parked in garage too. Thieves are counting on people not locking their doors.

@SnooppIf they break into your garage a locked vehicle is not going to stop them.

Frequent Contributor

Very unsettling for sure, glad it turned out to be an innocent mistake and lesson learned.

My dad was a police officer and worked in law enforcement plain clothes also, and he always always said lock your doors!  

Honored Contributor

I've accidentally tried to get into the wrong rental car before. It happens. No biggie.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the reminder to always lock our car doors. Am glad your situation was harmless.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Boy, how times have changed.

Back in the 1950s it was common for people to not only leave their cars unlocked while sitting in the driveway ... but to also leave THE KEYS in the ignition.

Differrent world.

@Tinkrbl44 

I had several different cars in the 1950's, some were race cars. Not a single one would I leave the keys in the car, in my driveway, or anywhere else. In the ignition? I didn't even do that with my cars at the Drag Strips where I raced. 

Worked too hard in grade and high school to be able to buy them. Then throw in my $250 every 3 months for Risk Insurance, yes in the 1950's. That was just for the $500 Deductible Liability Insurance. To this day, 67 years later, I still have never been in a wreck with any of my vehicles, but back then?

If you didn't have a driver over 21 in your family/were Male, and single? You were automatically put into the Auto Insurance Risk Pool. You had to take the company that offered you the policy, or you had no Auto Insurance.

The world we live in now is different, but how I took/take care of my vehicles has not changed.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I have a set routine after getting in my car. Turn on engine, lock the doors, put on seat belt, put on sunglasses.