Respected Contributor

Make Sure Your Car Doors are Locked When Inside the Car!

[ Edited ]

Had an experience the other day that left me somewhat shaken.  

Went to pick up my daughter from work.  She works parttime at Wegmans.  There is an employee entrance door close to where the main entrance is located in the front of the store. 

You're allowed to park right in front of the employee entrance when dropping off or picking up an employee.  I had pulled up there around 7:25pm.  Her shift that day ended at 7:30pm.  The sun had already set, so it was beginning to get dark.  While I'm waiting for her to come out, I generally check my phone for messages, etc.  I had my head down reading my email and suddenly I heard the back door open.  Thinking it was my daughter putting something she bought in the back seat, I turned around to find a young fellow, who had a container box of what appeared to be a food container.  He did have on a Wegmans shirt and must have mistaken my car for whoever was picking him up.  He was as stunned as I was.  He apologized and quickly got out of the car. 

I had thought all of my car doors were locked.  After that incident, I had the car checked and there's a sensor in the door that apparently wasn't working properly, unknown to me.   

My point is thankfully this was a benign incident, but it could have been much worse.  Remember to make sure you car is locked whether you are in it or not.  Only takes one time for something serious to happen.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: Make Sure Your Car Doors are Locked When Inside the Car!

Goes to show that not everyone is a threat, but better to be safe than sorry.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

There have been a few cases where someone running away from the police have opened the driver's door and pulled the driver out to steal their car too, even in traffic.

Honored Contributor

Relax. He probably had his head down, as you did, engrossed in his phone. A simple mistake. He apologized and life goes on. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad this incident had a happy ending!  I always lock my doors whether I'm in it or not.  I even lock them while I'm at church.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@ID2  I totally understand it was a mistake and that's not what concerned me.  It was the thought that it could have been a different scenerio. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @ciao_bella   we all have to be proactive.

Thankfully you are ok, and it was innocent.

Honored Contributor

Glad it didn't end up being a break in, but I can totally imagine the shock you initially felt!

I've always been an advocate for keeping all vehicle doors locked.   I recall an incident where a co-worker (this was decades ago) was stopped at a red light and somebody tried to get into her car.

Honored Contributor

As soon as I get in my car I lock the doors.

As soon as I get out of my car I lock the doors.

Always.

Respected Contributor

@ID2  Sorry but this is not a time to "relax." This is how innocent people get hurt. He could have been anyone. Luckily this time it was just a mistake. Tell the person walking on the subway platform that got pushed off for no reason just to relax. Unfortunately in our society we can't relax.