Respected Contributor

Glad we had a standby generator installed last year. It provides such peace of mind iwhen worrying about extreme heat or cold. Your car is a short-term lifesaver, whether you just back it our of the garage, turn it on and sit in it during an outage or use it to drive to a shelter or motel. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden    .. DH and I had a Generac installed a few years ago.  Our house is rather small so the generator we have can run the AC and furnace.  It will work all our lights and appliances.  But we were told not to run everything all at once.  It cost us under $9000.00.  Small price to pay for peace of mind. 

@Boehm Collector   ThankYOU for your post!  If we had the one  that ran the AC and Furnace....we would need a huge BURIED propane tank...and the price would be many thousands above $15,000.  I figured not living where the power goes off often....I could be happy without the furnace.  Space heaters would be fine.  Yes...peace of mind is priceless....my Husband is not quite as understanding of this.....but happy wife happy life😄

@SeaMaiden .. The only reason we have one that operates the AC and furnace is because our house is small enough.  I always worry about pipes freezing in the winter if there is no heat.  Also, I have a lot of food in a freezer in our basement.  For example whenever I make any type of pasta sauce I make a lot of it and freeze it.  Would hate to have everything go to waste.  

@SeaMaiden  .......   I have a question.  Will your generator be run by propane gas?   Ours runs on our natural gas supply.  We don't have any tanks.  

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I would take my dog and go to the basement.  It is always cool down there except in winter when we turn on the baseboard heat.  There is comfortable furniture and I would probably take a nap until the air comes back on.

@KathyM23   We've lost power in the summer before and the basement always stays cool...it can get a little muggy though.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  We had an ice storm years ago. It was Christmas Eve and no heat or power. I fed the fireplace all night, 22 outside. Coffee on a grill my husband called G I coffee,!terrible. We finally found a restaurant cooking on grills. The power was off a week, I lost my tropical fish.We had to find a hotel that would take the dog.

After that I told my husband “I’m like Scarlet O’Hsra, I’ll never be that cold again”! As soon as gas lines came to our street that Summer I had our first whole house generator installed. It ran everything (not all at once) including the air conditioning. It saw us through hurricanes and storms, It had many miles on it and I Got  a new one several years ago.

It was weeks without power when Isabel came. We invited neighbors in, et. My husband was sick and he was cool we had refrigerator and ice and showers. My son had trees on his house he was here. 

I’m alone with the dogs and wouldn’t live here without it. I have it serviced and oil changed. When the power goes out it waits to see if it will come back and if not it turns on. Turns off after power returns and it cools down.

You may be able to run your heat depending on the size of the house and unit, mine does but AC pulls more and a dryer but I can do that. ❤️😍. LOVE IT! Hope you get yours soon!

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden    .. DH and I had a Generac installed a few years ago.  Our house is rather small so the generator we have can run the AC and furnace.  It will work all our lights and appliances.  But we were told not to run everything all at once.  It cost us under $9000.00.  Small price to pay for peace of mind. 

@Boehm Collector   ThankYOU for your post!  If we had the one  that ran the AC and Furnace....we would need a huge BURIED propane tank...and the price would be many thousands above $15,000.  I figured not living where the power goes off often....I could be happy without the furnace.  Space heaters would be fine.  Yes...peace of mind is priceless....my Husband is not quite as understanding of this.....but happy wife happy life😄

@SeaMaiden .. The only reason we have one that operates the AC and furnace is because our house is small enough.  I always worry about pipes freezing in the winter if there is no heat.  Also, I have a lot of food in a freezer in our basement.  For example whenever I make any type of pasta sauce I make a lot of it and freeze it.  Would hate to have everything go to waste.  

@SeaMaiden  .......   I have a question.  Will your generator be run by propane gas?   Ours runs on our natural gas supply.  We don't have any tanks.  

Our Generac is hard wired to our buried propane tank. The Generac in our city place is wired to our natural gas service.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

Our Generac is hard wired to our buried propane tank. The Generac in our city place is wired to our natural gas service.

@libbyannE   Yes. We are all electric so they will install two propane tanks above ground.  The fellow that came to talk to us  said that in the older homes( built 1980 etc)

propane is is often used as well in homes WITH  natural gas...... as it is too EXPENSIVE  to hook up to the natural gas lines ....and it tears up your yard and street.   

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden  .. so I imagine you would have to be sure there is always enough propane in the tank.  

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden  .. so I imagine you would have to be sure there is always enough propane in the tank.  

Exactly @Boehm Collector   we would need to refill after extended useage.

The company we are going through to put in the generator will  monitor the Generator daily with some kind of wifi  or the like and will know if anything is wrong with it even if we do not and they will come out and repair or whatever needs to be done to maintain it.  It is part of the installation contract.

We would call the propane company to refill the propane tanks.

Honored Contributor

it's 7:02PM and the thermometer for outside reads 107F.  It gets the hottest toward sundown.  The front of our house faces west.  So direct sunlight hits us.  It's slowly going down. 

Storms to the south and west of use. Should be here tonight.  Tomorrow will  be a stormy day.  So until the next heat wave.....and there is going to be more extreme weather.  

Honored Contributor

I did loose electricity (in an all electric house) but only for about 1 hour today.

I'm convinced I could get through anything, only because I've been 'tried' on so many things at different times of my life.

When I read your post I remembered back maybe now 5 years ago (not good on timing).

So, it was winter and we'd had so much snow nothing could get down any of the roads.  I live off of one the the most winding (two lane roads) in my area.  All roads were closed due to the amount of snow.

So (I live in an all electric house) I lived here for 4 full days in this big house with my cat Jack.

I ate peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, I sat in my car during the day and watched videos (I have a machine that connects to my car and plays DVDs).  When night came, Jack and I went inside and huddled up with lots of blankets. 

I had a few of the large batteries (2 I think) and used those to power a heating pad.  He and I huddled up against it at night.

I couldn't get down my driveway even when the roads were eventually cleaned somewhat because there were live wires across my driveway that had come down.

Eventually, the electric company came and everyone else who's wires were down (they were all down).

Another time (not long after my husband died) my refrigerator also died.  I kept looking for a new refrigerator.  But first I had to clear the thing out.  THAT was the hard part.  I brought the huge trash can into the foyer and carried bags and boxes down the stairs to the big trash can.  

When the refrigerator was empty and the can was unbelievably full I had one heck of a time getting the trash can out the front door and down the front steps (you have no idea how hard that was.  My knees were really bad back then.

The refrigerator had to be a specific size because it had to fit into the kitchen space between two sets of cabinets and one above.  It had to be able to have air circulate.

Finally, after probably (I'm not exaggerating) 6 weeks (at least) I decided on the refrigerator.

What did I do in that time?  Well I had an ice chest and I kept it on the back screened porch.  If I needed something cold, I'd go out there to the ice chest.

My family and friends thought I was crazy (I am, but so what).

I was not going to just jump and get something I didn't want.  My husband was among things a builder so we have builder's cards and get things discount.  Even with that it wasn't about the price, it was finding something the right size.

There have been lots of other times when I've had to handle things on my own.  We had lightning hit our house 4 times (once when he was on business).  We couldn't live in the house for 5 full months. 

We set up our business in the garage and would leave the hotel and come to this house every day.  He had his own companies and this way he could keep an eye and the builders who were redoing our house.

We took 1 week off at that time and took our daughter to Houston (because we'd never been there).  It was a fun trip.  We had our own room at the hotel.  We checked out before we left and checked back in when we got back.  We had to go to another room then because our room was rented.  The insurance did not pay for our hotel while we were on vacation and it was easy because during the fire it was all sent away being cleaned.  The few clothes we had were kept at my daughter's house.

So, I think most people can do things....I'm no different from anyone else.  

I think everyone (especially women) have it in themselves to survive most things.  We females are very confident and will usually find a way to do "IT" (whatever it is) if we're given enough time.

As far as loosing electricity, it's happened so many times I've lost count.  

There have been other times when I've had to 'make do' for a day or two...no big deal.

All of that said, I still become a raging @#$ when the temperature wherever I am gets humid.  It's not the hot with me, it's the humidity.

Right now I have 2 dehumidifiers running upstairs in my house.  I can't stand any form of humidity in the summer.

I've been told a lot of women are like me in that way?