Honored Contributor

My father always mentioned a heat wave during his childhood in the 1930's. There was no air conditioning and farmers still worked the fields and blue collar workers still went to the mills. We never had air conditioning in our childhood home, and our school wasn't air conditioned either. You'd open a window or turn on a box fan.

Respected Contributor

So much for haaving a generator if you don't keep it ready for an emergency.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@songbird   

My husband and I  have decided to invest in a whole house generator.  It will cost to put in about $15,000 when totally installed.   But when the power goes out, we will have a generator that automatically kicks on and will run the refrigeration... lights... garage door, ( TV and internet)... we will use 1000 watt space heaters for heat..   and use cook plates for cooking plus we can use the microwave too.. 

I know it sounds expensive. But I HATE being without power or at least something. It will run on  two 250 gallon propane tanks  that will be permanent installed  that we will have filled as needed.

This is my present to myself to not have to worry all winter about power being out for days.  Or power out at any time of the year. It is just PEACE OF MIND.  

@SeaMaiden    .. DH and I had a Generac installed a few years ago.  Our house is rather small so the generator we have can run the AC and furnace.  It will work all our lights and appliances.  But we were told not to run everything all at once.  It cost us under $9000.00.  Small price to pay for peace of mind. 

@Boehm Collector   ThankYOU for your post!  If we had the one  that ran the AC and Furnace....we would need a huge BURIED propane tank...and the price would be many thousands above $15,000.  I figured not living where the power goes off often....I could be happy without the furnace.  Space heaters would be fine.  Yes...peace of mind is priceless....my Husband is not quite as understanding of this.....but happy wife happy life😄

@SeaMaiden .. The only reason we have one that operates the AC and furnace is because our house is small enough.  I always worry about pipes freezing in the winter if there is no heat.  Also, I have a lot of food in a freezer in our basement.  For example whenever I make any type of pasta sauce I make a lot of it and freeze it.  Would hate to have everything go to waste.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot glad you can laugh at yourself. I was tempted to say something but kept silent (for once).

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

So much for haaving a generator if you don't keep it ready for an emergency.

@Tyak   That is  why I like our standby generator.   There's no need to have to hook it up and have enough gas to run it.  It automatically goes on.  It runs a self test once a week.  It is also monitored wirelessly by the company that installed it.  So if anything were to go wrong we would be warned and could have it repaired.  We also have routine maintenance performed on it.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm here in Phoenix where it's blistering heat all summer long.  Last year our power company failed twice for short periods of time; however, it was evening time so going to the mall was out for me.  

After the first stoppage, I went to wal-mart and bought a battery operated fan.

It circulated the air (maybe some A/C left) for the 1/2 hr power was off and made the situation bearable.

I have the battery operated fan ready to roll should I need it this summer.

Also, our power company (APS) has an app, so I can check exactly how long they estimate the outage to last and their progress.  That helps.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@songbird   

My husband and I  have decided to invest in a whole house generator.  It will cost to put in about $15,000 when totally installed.   But when the power goes out, we will have a generator that automatically kicks on and will run the refrigeration... lights... garage door, ( TV and internet)... we will use 1000 watt space heaters for heat..   and use cook plates for cooking plus we can use the microwave too.. 

I know it sounds expensive. But I HATE being without power or at least something. It will run on  two 250 gallon propane tanks  that will be permanent installed  that we will have filled as needed.

This is my present to myself to not have to worry all winter about power being out for days.  Or power out at any time of the year. It is just PEACE OF MIND.  

@SeaMaiden    .. DH and I had a Generac installed a few years ago.  Our house is rather small so the generator we have can run the AC and furnace.  It will work all our lights and appliances.  But we were told not to run everything all at once.  It cost us under $9000.00.  Small price to pay for peace of mind. 

@Boehm Collector   ThankYOU for your post!  If we had the one  that ran the AC and Furnace....we would need a huge BURIED propane tank...and the price would be many thousands above $15,000.  I figured not living where the power goes off often....I could be happy without the furnace.  Space heaters would be fine.  Yes...peace of mind is priceless....my Husband is not quite as understanding of this.....but happy wife happy life😄

@SeaMaiden .. The only reason we have one that operates the AC and furnace is because our house is small enough.  I always worry about pipes freezing in the winter if there is no heat.  Also, I have a lot of food in a freezer in our basement.  For example whenever I make any type of pasta sauce I make a lot of it and freeze it.  Would hate to have everything go to waste.  

@Boehm Collector   Our power was off for over 4 days one time. We lost all our food...fridge and freezer.... It was in the winter and the house was around 40 degrees inside by the fourth day. We could not go to a motel as we have dogs, birds etc. it was so awful....I still remember it even years later.  We have a wood stove down stairs and eventually ran out of wood or anything to burn.  I was so excited when the power came back on....I did a 💃 dance.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector does your generator need a propane tank too? I thought there might be another way to power them.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boehm Collector   Our power was off for over 4 days one time. We lost all our food...fridge and freezer.... It was in the winter and the house was around 40 degrees inside by the fourth day. We could not go to a motel as we have dogs, birds etc. it was so awful....I still remember it even years later.  We have a wood stove down stairs and eventually ran out of wood or anything to burn.  I was so excited when the power came back on....I did a 💃 dance.

@SeaMaiden  .. that must have been an awful experience!  Good reason for getting that generator!

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Boehm Collector does your generator need a propane tank too? I thought there might be another way to power them.

@AuntG  .... no, we do not have a propane tank.   The generator is hooked up to our natural gas supply.  We had to have our gas and electric company involved in the installation process.