Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would never leave my house without my dogs.

@goldensrbest 

And poor cats and other pets...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot , as far as I know there are battery operated fans.  

Honored Contributor

If you're an able bodied person and don't have any serious medical conditions I wouldn't consider 45 minutes without power or air conditioning a major crisis.

If it happened here I wouldn't be one bit happy about it but I wouldn't be all over Facebook or a forum complaining about it.

No sympathies for people that complain about losing power for minutes or hours.  Go 10 days without and then I'll feel sorry for you.

Regular Contributor

You need electricity to turn fans on and if the electicity is off you can not go to movies . I also would never leave with my Fur Babies .

Respected Contributor

I would go to Starbucks and drink an Iced Caramel Macchiato.

Esteemed Contributor

Go shopping 🛍 

Respected Contributor

Go sit in my car or go to my sister house if her power is on. She lives close by.

Honored Contributor

Re: Major crisis averted

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hckynut      Wow!~  How does your house stay in the 60's when it is 100 degrees outside? 

My house would be 90 degrees upstairs where we slept when we had just 90 degree days.

We invested in a new heat pump and now the upstairs stays at a cool 72 degrees. Best investment EVER.

@SeaMaiden 

Our house does not stay in the 60's. If I said that somewhere it was a typo or not something I meant to say. I have no idea what the house temp is, other than very hot. I turned off our digital thermostat when we quit using the furnace and the whole house AC.

Now my wife's master bedroom has a portable 12,000BTU AC unit and she keeps that at 78-80°. In the winter we use a Quartz Infrared heater and she likes 65° to sleep.

She is leaving right now for a 7 day Pet Sitting Job, so this patio room won't have the AC on while she is gone. When it is on we set the temp at 83-84°. In the winter the heater is set at, for me 62°, for her 65°. 

Our 6 felines and our 1 canine do just fine. They like laying on the cool tile and/or laminate floors. Our patio room has carpet so they prefer the cooler surfaces.

It is 68° now for our outdoor temp when yesterday it was 101° and heat index around 112°. Had patio AC set at 84° yesterday which was comfortable enough for us, along with our ceiling fan.

Try to stay cool. I am heading to the ice rink for my 2 hour skating in a couple hours. Cool there until I get my body heat up and my blood temp to a muscle flexible temp, and then I "press the pedal to the metal" and fly.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot 

Love hearing your stories. I was born in Public Housing Projects and my mom raised myself and my 3 older sisters when my dad(?), a drunk left when I was about 3-4 years old. No AC there for sure. Only AC I remember was at a movie or in the department store where my mom worked.

Grew up that way so it was normal for everyone around me. We did have a floor fan which moved the hot air around a little bit.

Didn't know you were called out or I wouldn't have added that comment in my post. I never read other posts before I post mine, guess sometimes that can be a negative. Feel like my mind gets distracted when I read what others may have said. Strange? That's just me!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Major crisis averted

[ Edited ]

That is the very reason why DH and I had a  Generac Standby Generator installed a few years ago.  But if we didn't have it I suppose I would go to our library or a store... assuming they had not lost power.   Or sit in my car with the AC.