Frequent Contributor

Re: Major Oil Spill, Washes onto LA Beaches

Oh this makes me so heartsick.  I'm from Orange County and remember other times in years gone by when volunteers were requested to help bring towels and come wash off the birds that came to shore all covered in oil.  So, so horrible to have this happen to nature. California has had way too many tragic events recently. 

Janet in Georgia
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

All the complaining yet how many here have big houses, pristine lawns, big cars, travel etc....  All require the use of natural resources.  

You think people with big houses shouldn't complain about oil spills that harm the natural environment? Why?

The planet has limited resources.  Unfortunately many take more of these resources than they actually need.  They then complain about the environment.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Was it determined yet what caused the break?  Could have been progressive damage from earthquakes, tremors, etc.  Also, it would seem to me that the owners of that pipeline would have a way to tell when pressure changed and immediately investigate as well as turn it off to stop the flow of oil.  Any change in pressure would suggest a break, would it not?!

It has been turned off but too late and now the oil spill will also affect Newport Beach. 

Honored Contributor

Each day you think it can't get worse....unfortunately it gets worse.  My heart breaks for the wildlife, as it does for the trajectory of our country.  Just too sad.  I know that everything changes, and I'm looking forward to next year.  In the meantime, stay safe, healthy, and strong.  

@GeorgiaJanet wrote:

Oh this makes me so heartsick.  I'm from Orange County and remember other times in years gone by when volunteers were requested to help bring towels and come wash off the birds that came to shore all covered in oil.  So, so horrible to have this happen to nature. California has had way too many tragic events recently. 

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

So incredibly sad...we have poisoned the land, polluted the streams, rivers, ponds, and lakes and now have moved onto the seas and oceans.  

I have always said that man is the worse thing to happen this planet 🌍 

No, it's not!

@ThinkingOutLoud, it's their opinion (mine as well these days). You may disagree but not decide for those of us who have that opinion.

Just as others here are free to post what they think, I'm free to post what I know.

Knowledge and belief are 2 different things. If you 'know' this for sure, where is your proof?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not just oil companies and the "affluent" ....What about all the everyday beach goers that leave all their trash on the beach and in the oceans and rivers....trash that harms sea life and other animals........Here's photos of beaches and river fronts all around the U.S. ......PEOPLE ARE PIGS AND DONT RESPECT NATURE! ...Clean energy has no impact on these photos! 

'

TEXAS

beach_trash2

FLORIDA

CALIFORNIAocean trash – RecycleNation

LAKE MICHIGAN

Study Finds Most Lake Michigan Beach Trash Comes From Visitors - Lake  Scientist

HAWAII

EPA forces Hawaii to clean up two beaches contaminated by trash - New York  Daily News

SANTA BARBARA

UC Santa Barbara

LA COUNTY

The San Gabriel River flows for 58 miles through Orange and Los Angeles counties before reaching the ocean near Seal Beach. Recent rainstorms pushed trash and other debris into the river that was then dumped onto Seal Beach. (Tony Siriano of Huntington/Seal Beach Surfrider Foundation)

6 Sea Creatures Impacted by Marine Debris

Tubers trash Guadalupe River in Texas

Tubers trash Texas' Comal River

Guadalupe river | the Texas Green Report

trash collected from the river.....

Large amount of trash removed from New Braunfels' rivers

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

The sooner we make the switch to clean energy the better off we will be. Thankfully, those steps are being taken and the infrastructure to support it is being implemented. Not soon enough.

Sorry for the people in that area. High real estate values there and to have those beaches befouled is not good for the wildlife or the residents.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why do we, as a nation, continue to let crud like this happen? Hasn't anyone in a position to address these idiocies learned anything over the years? It happens, it's devastating, fines and apologies flow forth and then it happens again and it's inexcusable, unforgivable and inexplicable. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

The sooner we make the switch to clean energy the better off we will be. Thankfully, those steps are being taken and the infrastructure to support it is being implemented. Not soon enough.

Sorry for the people in that area. High real estate values there and to have those beaches befouled is not good for the wildlife or the residents.

BTW clean energy was a failure in Texas's artic storm in February....wewent without heat and water (energy is needed to run water systems) it went on for weeks....frigid weather caused burst pipes and damage to homes...sadly food had to be thrown away...States that were going to help Texas (Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri)  soon had their own energy crisis problems and no reserves to help) solar and wind failed.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

BTW clean energy was a failure in Texas's artic storm in February....wewent without heat and water (energy is needed to run water systems) it went on for weeks....frigid weather caused burst pipes and damage to homes...sadly food had to be thrown away...States that were going to help Texas (Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri)  soon had their own energy crisis problems and no reserves to help) solar and wind failed.....

From what I understand, wind and solar is only a tiny piece of the Texas energy infrastructure.

Are you saying Texas exclusively uses wind and solar and when it failed, people died? You don't use fossil fuel in Texas for the majority of your energy?

Interesting.