Honored Contributor

Re: Major City but not that many People? NYC has me Spoiled.

We were in Toronto in May and it was crowded-just like NYC!  Montreal and Quebec City were much more peaceful.  We were also in Copenhagen recently and while not as bad as Toronto and NYC it was very busy.

Honored Contributor

What city isn't crowded?? Isn't that part of what makes it a city? Otherwise you'd be in a ghost town and there are a few of those if that's more of your thing.

Honored Contributor

I live in NYC ... so just about everywhere is not so crowded.

In Italy - Palermo (Sicily), Rome, Milan, Naples - I recall those cities having a lot of people on the streets.  Palermo traffic is horrible.  Actually worse than Manhattan!

Respected Contributor

@JBKOHaving lived in NYC my entire life, I think we need to realize that at least half the people who clog the streets in Manhattan are tourists.Unless you're trying to get somewhere 8-9am, 12-2pm and 5-7pm.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Love my rural setting.  Don't like crowds.  Will not even consider moving anywhere where there is overpopulation. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I live in a small city (pop around 250,000 last I knew) and I'm fine with that.  I have traveled around the country and to numerous other countries and wherever I am I am not particularly fond of crowds.   I like having space.  Smiley Happy

Also, being from LA, not fond of major traffic!  At least up here that's seldom any concern at all.   Only time traffic is aggravating is when they are working on the freeway, or any main thoroughfare, and have lanes closed off.

I find other's perspective on this subject fascinating. 

To me, a city with 250,000 people is not small. It is a mid sized city. We live near a city that has a population of 50,000 and that is closer to what I call a small city. And I consider a city to be different than a 'town'. Small city, to me would be 50,000 people, Small town would be something like 10,000 or less.

Honored Contributor

The latest population figures for Manhattan (2017) is 1.66 million people.  The island of Manhattan is 33.58 square miles.  

The 2018 forecast for the entire city (5 boroughs) is 20.04 million.

Do you remember the TV Series "The Naked City"?  Their tag line was "there are 8 million stories in the naked city ...."  Lot more stories today than there were in late 50s/early 60s.

Esteemed Contributor

If you like crowded go to China;  every city we went to was between 20-33 million people.

Respected Contributor

If you don"t like crowds go to Rhyolite Nevada.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Different strokes... If the OP finds the crowds of NYC energizing or otherwise appealing, so be it... I get that... I might not want it all the time, but when there, it can be delightful or dreadful, depending on lots of things, including one's mood...  @JBKO The difference you note likely has to do with land area... Manhattan is about 25-30 squre miles while Toronto is about 242 square miles... Lots more room for all those people to spread out...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...