Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have been giving gift cards to the young adults in our family for a few years. They are all our nephews, and now two have families of their own. So I've been giving our two "nieces-in-law" Sephora gift cards.

A while back one of my friends said one of the postal workers advised her not to mail gift cards in a regular envelope. It's better to put them in a bubble envelope. They will be less likely to get lost. I've been telling everyone that. 

Now that the time to do that is here, I'm wondering if any of you have heard this too (?)

Honored Contributor

Re: Mailing Holiday Gift Cards

@beach-mom 

It makes sense, if thieves can 'feel' that it feels like a CC, the more likely it would be stolen by unscrupulous workers along it's journey in the shipping process.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

They don't get lost, they get stolen.   They can be felt through the envelope and card.

What I do is put them in the greeting card, put the greeting card in it's envelope and then put the entire thing into a bubble envelope marked Photos Do Not Bend.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I have been giving gift cards to the young adults in our family for a few years. They are all our nephews, and now two have families of their own. So I've been giving our two "nieces-in-law" Sephora gift cards.

A while back one of my friends said one of the postal workers advised her not to mail gift cards in a regular envelope. It's better to put them in a bubble envelope. They will be less likely to get lost. I've been telling everyone that. 

Now that the time to do that is here, I'm wondering if any of you have heard this too (?)

I never send cash, checks or gift cards in a within a card in a card envelope with a stamp on it for years.  I just packaged up a small box for my family that has all of that within it and I always ship with tracking and insurance.  Not the standard $50 insurance but whatever the value is.

Respected Contributor

You can send a Sephora eGift Card by email @beach-mom 

Respected Contributor

I mail my gift cards by priority mail inside of a greeting card. 

Respected Contributor

USPS insurance does not cover gift cards.

From the USPS website:

Does postal insurance cover gift cards that are lost in the mail?

No, postal insurance does not cover the loss of gift cards. Some gift card companies will replace a lost card if it was registered with or purchased directly from the company, and/or if you have a purchase receipt or the gift card number.

Honored Contributor

I send lots of gift cards regular mail inside of a greeting card, never had a problem