Honored Contributor

Re: Magazines you still enjoy/have cancelled during pandemic

Completely agree with you on both counts, @Spurt .   What they make you go through just to "disengage" from them is quite eye-opening--  I didn't realize until I started the process how hard it is, and even getting a live person to interact with, who can help you, is a daunting and time-consuming task!

Stanwyck is my top favorite of "classic age" Hollywood actresses, with of course Bette a very close second.  There's something so real and authentic and human about Stanwyck.  You're right, she did make some great choices, right up through her later career, so we have so many superb performances of hers to savor.  And, as well, I like her TV persona as resolute, intelligent "Victoria Barkley" of "The Big Valley" too! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Completely agree with you on both counts, @Spurt .   What they make you go through just to "disengage" from them is quite eye-opening--  I didn't realize until I started the process how hard it is, and even getting a live person to interact with, who can help you, is a daunting and time-consuming task!

Stanwyck is my top favorite of "classic age" Hollywood actresses, with of course Bette a very close second.  There's something so real and authentic and human about Stanwyck.  You're right, she did make some great choices, right up through her later career, so we have so many superb performances of hers to savor.  And, as well, I like her TV persona as resolute, intelligent "Victoria Barkley" of "The Big Valley" too! 

@Oznell 

Yep....ITA even Stanwyck's role on the Big Valley was the perfect casting....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I only subscribe to Southern Living. I can only read with large print now but can use a flashlight to read the articles; I love the recipes, house, and gardening photos. I would subscribe to more if large print versions were available. Very few now, other than Readers Digest and Guideposts.
Honored Contributor

not so difficult to cancel a magazine. NEVER do auto renew or if you do, make sure it is a credit card that is soon to expire. let them send you a bill in the mail and then send it back with the word cancel. if they keep sending you the bills just throw them away OR wait for a cheaper price.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Did cancel Reader's Digest.  Sorry to say.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl  That is why I love current magazines. To keep me aware of new music/movies/tv.

At least so I know some names & a little about what others are listening to & watching today.

My husband has not gotten past ZZ Top & SNL with the original cast! LOL

Honored Contributor

I no longer have any subscriptions. If something catches my eye I will occassionally purchase one at a store. I used to love getting magazines in the mail, but not anymore.

Honored Contributor

just a FYI for those who may be interested in trying a magazine or two.

i got a brads deals email today that has a link to the discount mags website. there are some good subscriptions as low as $4 a year......lots of choices. you can even lock into the savings for multiple years.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I never had any subscription to any magazine.  Some people do it, others don't. I'm just one of them. If I eer read any magazine, it would be a the hair dresser.  In fact, I was surprised they were still around.  I thought they had gone the way of newspapers.  I'm guessing some magazines have gone online.  

Trusted Contributor

The only one I've kept is Better Homes & Garden. I used to love Southern Living and Texas Monthly, but Southern Living became too many pages of ads and Texas Monthly decided to cram everything into smaller font.