Trusted Contributor

Re: Magazines you still enjoy/have cancelled during pandemic

I just got a notice that O magazine (Oprah's mag) will no longer be in print, only on line.  So I am cancelling it as I like to sit down and read an actual magazine. So that is cancelled and I have a few others I still get but they sure are small and rather cheap now. But I do enjoy receiving them and reading them even though it's quick! 

Trusted Contributor

Real Simple-my favorite of all.

Respected Contributor

@speedy girl 

What annoys me about many increasingly thin magazines is their continued  alerts to check out their websites for more  details or up-to-date articles about things that I'd like to read about, but  will not search for online.

That type of info  used to be included in  the print edition.  I've stopped subscribing to more magazines than I actually renew these days.

No sense sending to the recyle bin a pile of skinny, less informative magazines full of nothing but pharmaceutical ads and light, less creative content.

Super Contributor

i have subscriptions to Vanity Fair, Vogue, Elle, Harpers Bazar, Poets&Writers, Southern Living, Archaeology, AARP. Likely to cancel all except Archaeology & Vanity Fair when they come up for renewal. 

Respected Contributor

Vanity Fair has thinned over time, not due to the pandemic, but I still enjoy reading it.  I let my online Architectual Digest lapse because of the deep gap between the monied and everyone else.  Wonderful images but the flagrant costs and "to the trade" meaning you can't own this without first hiring a professional to buy it for you and no little arrogance throughout - I'd finally asked myself why am paying such an inflated price to read so much arrogance?  I still subscribe online to Eating Well.

Honored Contributor

I still get several magazines.

I had subscribed a while back to Vanity Fair and enjoyed it but then they started putting all these perfume cards inside.  I couldn't even get it out of my mailbox without halfway choking to death.  So I contacted them to see if there was anything I could do.

Back in the day magazines had a 'no perfume' choice but they didn't.  I still had over a year left and was told I could not get any of my money back (I purchased directly through them) so I said fine.  If that's the way it goes, I just learned more about them.

Having breathing problems and also having a bird, there was no way I could keep getting them.  Even if you took it outside and removed the cards they really reeked badly so I couldn't even read them.

Respected Contributor

Sorry those inserts bother you, CB.  I like them for dropping inside my bathroom and bedroom trash baskets and I've even applied a few to myself before.  LOL   Not more than one at a time.  ha.