Trusted Contributor

Re: Maeve Binchy - Are there any similar writers?

I was going to suggest Rosamund Pilcher, too. You might also like Anne Rivers Siddons. Her books takes place in the South (USA), but they are good family sagas.

I have only read one Kate Morton book, but that, too, is a good suggestion.

One of my favorite books is The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough, which takes place in Australia. Love, love, love it! I may be due to reread it as it's been a while.

Honored Contributor

This is a picture of Maeve Binchy's hometown. I made it my home page. I love it.

Honored Contributor

I guess I mean my screensaver.

Valued Contributor

I'm reading a nice biography of Maeve by Piers Dudgeon. It's called "Maeve Binchy: A Biography." (What else?)

I just wish it had pictures or photos.

I agree with Kate Morton as a good choice. Love her books, and am in wait for her new release this summer!

Honored Contributor

Thank you so very much! I just love the way the characters in Maeve's books were so believable. And the way she tied everything together. And the way she just drew you in.

Judaline: Thanks for posting that picture. Oh, isn't that lovely and quaint? I love it!!!!

If anyone else comes up with some more ideas, please let me know!!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2015 Judaline said:

I guess I mean my screensaver.

It is beautiful and so was she. I miss her.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

On 3/12/2015 Judaline said:
On 3/10/2015 JESSA said:

Catherine Cookson books are really good.

My favorite of all time. When I was in England (not long enough!) we went in a bookstore and I saw all of these pocket books-yes, I still call them that-by CC that I hadn't read. I bought about six of them. I was so thrilled. When I got home I saw that they were books I had read, published under a different title, hahaha. It was ok. I just put them on my shelf. It makes me happy just to look at them.

I love every book she wrote.

Jessa
Super Contributor

I loved her too and Rosamunde Pilcher. If I'm remembering right, I think I read a book by Maeve's son written much like her or perhaps he finished a book of hers.
Super Contributor

I looked it up and it's Rosamunde Pilcher's son that's the writer, Maeve Binchy didn't have children. Like I said, if I'm remembering right the Robin Pilcher book I read as very similar to his mother's style.
New Contributor

Have you read Anne Tyler? I just finished A Spool of Blue Thread and it was good.

Also, have a look at Roses by Lelia Meacham.