Super Contributor

Re: Maeve Binchy - Are there any similar writers?

On 3/21/2015 girlontherun said:

Have you read Anne Tyler? I just finished A Spool of Blue Thread and it was good.

Also, have a look at Roses by Lelia Meacham.

Me too...I just read "A Spool of Blue Thread" and then immediately went into an Anne Tyler frenzy. Keep going to the library to get more.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 beanie said:
On 3/21/2015 girlontherun said:

Have you read Anne Tyler? I just finished A Spool of Blue Thread and it was good.

Also, have a look at Roses by Lelia Meacham.

Me too...I just read "A Spool of Blue Thread" and then immediately went into an Anne Tyler frenzy. Keep going to the library to get more.

I am reading A Spool of Blue Thread right now in the mornings early before work. I really like it but was a bit sad with the parts I read today.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my favorite books.

I also like the writing style of J A Jance, especially her Joanna Brady series.

Candy

Frequent Contributor

One thing I really loved about Maeve was the irish lilt in her writing. Marion Keyes is an Irish writer who writes enjoyably of families and life. (But I don't recommend the one she wrote about rehab, called Rachel's Holiday, it's rather depressing.) Her non-fiction memoirs are good too.

Alexander McCall Smith is Scottish and writes great characters. He writes so many series it's hard to keep track of them all but I think Scotland Street is my favorite.

I've only read a couple of her books but Penny Vincenzi is English and writes female fiction with that British flair.

Respected Contributor

You might want to try Edna O'Brien (these books are heavenly to listen to--with the lovely Irish dialect).