Honored Contributor

Maeve Binchy - Are there any similar writers?

For me, there will never be another writer that I so enjoyed as much as Maeve Binchy! Her books soothed and entranced me -- every single one. I am now reading her very last book and trying to savor it and make it last!

Although I know she was one of a kind, does anyone know of similar writers? I love the warm tales that Maeve Binch spun and the characters she described. She made you feel like you knew them and could be their friends. I also love reading about the area that her books were set in.

If anyone has any writers and/or books that you could list, I'd be so happy! After this book, I will be going through Maeve Binchy withdrawal!

Thank you so much!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Re: Maeve Binchy - Are there any similar writers?

I think early Rosamund Pilcher might be someone you'd like: The Shell Seekers, and September are two of my very favorite books.

Also, I just finished reading Maeve's Times--a compilation of many of her newspaper articles. If you haven't read that, it's a treat, too.

Product Details

Esteemed Contributor

I'm re-reading an older Binchy book now. Have you read American novelist, LuAnne Rice? Not Anne Rice who writes about crime stories, but LuAnne Rice. I think I've read all of LR's books or listened on audio. She does her research and shakes the family tree when she writes. I do enjoy her positive outcomes. Give her a try if you aren't familiar.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, I do enjoy Roasmunde Pilcher also. I believe I have read all of her stuff.

As for LuAnne Rice, yes she is good, too.

I have not seen Maeve's Times, but I will look for it!

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

Kate Morton: Her stories span generations. These are the types of books you are sorry to finish. Enjoy!

The Distant Hours

The Secret Keeper

The Forgotten Garden

The House at Riverton

And, coming out this summer, The Lake House

Respected Contributor

I can't suggest anything right now but wanted to say that Maeve was one of my favorite writers for many years. I have not read her last book yet, but plan to. I will miss any further books of hers being published.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion! I am feeling the loss of Maeve deeply. When I opened one of her books, I felt comfort and peace. I always felt a connection to her characters. She had such a warmth about her writing. I am sure she must have been that way in her own personal life, too!

Trusted Contributor

Catherine Cookson books are really good.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

Thank you --- I will look her up!!!

Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 JESSA said:

Catherine Cookson books are really good.

My favorite of all time. When I was in England (not long enough!) we went in a bookstore and I saw all of these pocket books-yes, I still call them that-by CC that I hadn't read. I bought about six of them. I was so thrilled. When I got home I saw that they were books I had read, published under a different title, hahaha. It was ok. I just put them on my shelf. It makes me happy just to look at them.